Using Power Conditioner to eliminate Noise carried over Ethernet

Hi RepofTexas and friends!

Received my Teradak TS212 and also quite recently got in the Cisco 2960G switch along with a Cisco fibre optic cable

Also had Spectrum out and relocated the modem + router by the system, which elevated system performance significantly, as I thought it would. Until doing this, I have been relying on a distant WiFi connection. I would strongly advise anyone who is streaming via WiFi to try a physical Ethernet connection and see if they benefit as we have done.

The Cisco switch did bring a suble but noticable improvement too. Although my unit was direct from Cisco new old stock (there was only one left), I did a reset upon receiving it. Works fine.

I set about hooking up the Teradak converter. Unfortunately I am not getting any ethernet signal confmation on the streamer (EverSolo DMzP-A6 Master Edition). The indicator light on the fiber port is not on so I assume nothing is coming through to the switch?

The config is as follows: Spectrum modem router via ethernet cable is connected into the TS212. The fibre cable is connected to the fiber port. The fibre cable is about 1meter and connects into the 2960G fiber port. I tried the ethernet cable that connects from the 2960G into the DMP-A6, plugged either into the port next to the fiber port and then also into one of the other open ports (not console). No joy. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

A word on the Teradak TS212. It is surpringly well made for such a product. The case is of heavy gauge brushed aluminium. It is relatively simple as such a product will be, but dare i say it, it is quite beautiful in its quality construction. Not the same as the pic on the website. It also has a heft to it, indicating its quality. Most impressive. I shall be looking at Kam Audio's other components now too.

Just have to get this working

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    801.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1276.jpeg
    IMG_1276.jpeg
    680.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    691.9 KB · Views: 12
Hi Superdad! Thanks for responding. Please find photos attached. It is an actual Cisco cable. Hopefully I got the right one with compatible transceivers?

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpeg
    IMG_1296.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1295.jpeg
    IMG_1295.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 11
2 thoughts .
1 buy a galvonic medical grade net work iso , https://www.emosystems.com/network-isolators/
get one with low loss .
2 find a suitible linear psu for your router and modem . this can be tried after the above is tried first .

my reason is a network iso must be observed first , use just in one location near the start of the chain .
an example at modem output to router .
if the modem is also a router menaing one box use after the port used for your audio netwrok .
if you can buy a router for all audio only place at one port from cabel router . this is best and if done the iso goes at input to the new router .
reason for audio router is a few , this gets linear psu , this only does audio and make this its own netwrok . emaning as an example 195.168.1.111 is home where audio is 192.168.
0.111 . this alaone makes all netwrok traffic audio only .
a router has many jobs so less jobs is better for audio .
just my thoughts
ps im not against conversion to optical but this adds more chips and a complexity of work back and forth .
big name companies in audio do this , but they have put the effort to make it better through time and effort .
use cat 6 or above shileded made data wire , while your not using the shield these wires do have a level of EMI and RFI shielding .

Hi RepofTexas and friends!

Received my Teradak TS212 and also quite recently got in the Cisco 2960G switch along with a Cisco fibre optic cable

Also had Spectrum out and relocated the modem + router by the system, which elevated system performance significantly, as I thought it would. Until doing this, I have been relying on a distant WiFi connection. I would strongly advise anyone who is streaming via WiFi to try a physical Ethernet connection and see if they benefit as we have done.

The Cisco switch did bring a suble but noticable improvement too. Although my unit was direct from Cisco new old stock (there was only one left), I did a reset upon receiving it. Works fine.

I set about hooking up the Teradak converter. Unfortunately I am not getting any ethernet signal confmation on the streamer (EverSolo DMzP-A6 Master Edition). The indicator light on the fiber port is not on so I assume nothing is coming through to the switch?

The config is as follows: Spectrum modem router via ethernet cable is connected into the TS212. The fibre cable is connected to the fiber port. The fibre cable is about 1meter and connects into the 2960G fiber port. I tried the ethernet cable that connects from the 2960G into the DMP-A6, plugged either into the port next to the fiber port and then also into one of the other open ports (not console). No joy. Any guidance greatly appreciated.

A word on the Teradak TS212. It is surpringly well made for such a product. The case is of heavy gauge brushed aluminium. It is relatively simple as such a product will be, but dare i say it, it is quite beautiful in its quality construction. Not the same as the pic on the website. It also has a heft to it, indicating its quality. Most impressive. I shall be looking at Kam Audio's other components now too.

Just have to get this working
What SFP are you using and are they compatible. Some will not communicate each other. Is the Media converter compliant with the SFP you are using ie 10g vs 1g vs 100g?.

Hi Superdad! Thanks for responding. Please find photos attached. It is an actual Cisco cable. Hopefully I got the right one with compatible transceivers?
Well the cable you bought (Cisco SFP-10G-CU1M) is not even fiber optic. That’s a Direct Attach Cable—which is dual twinaxial copper terminated to an almost empty PCB inside the SFP shell. They have their uses but provide zero galvanic isolation.
Anyway, that module advertises itself— to whatever it is plugged into—as a 10G-capable SFP+, and the datasheet for that series has a footnote indicating that it is not certified for use with all Cisco switch models.

I’d suggest you purchase some other transceivers.

Hi RepublicofTexas! I went with your recommendation on the Teradak TS212. And the Cisco 2960G switch. As Superdad has pointed out, the cable/ transceivers I got is not the right one. I need the two transceiver modules and the fiber cable. Can you remind me again of your preference? I love the Teradak by the way. Great recommendation. I also purchased some very well made banana plugs from Kam Audio too.

RepofTexas, I looked again at the diagram you sent. I did confirm your use of Finisar transeiver modules and owens corning fiber cable. Thanks again.
Thanks for doing the research and saving my thumbs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing