YG Acoustics

The A5 stacks up to any speaker that I have ever heard. It does certain things, ie, transparency and clarity in the midrange and mid bass that surpasses what I have heard before. Give them a listen if you get a chance. YMMV.

To clarify a bit of what I hear when I say transparency and clarity in the mid-bass and the midrange, which of course most good/great speakers provide to a certain extent, it is small details and harmonics of very slight sounds 15 feet deep in the soundstage. I have never heard clarity/resolution/precicessness of those instruments especially with classical recordings with full orchestra. There is no smear. Each instrument is very clear and again WAY back into the depth of the soundstage. It's uncanny to me.

How does the A5 compare to the S3mk2 and S5mk2? If you had to choose A5 or one of those which would you choose?

How does the A5 compare to the S3mk2 and S5mk2? If you had to choose A5 or one of those which would you choose?
I personally would choose the A5s but people buy speakers for lots of different reasons ie, colors, aesthetics, etc. The A5s just happen to float my personal boat. Again ymmv.

Regarding a comparison, I try not to make comparisons and write about them, as what I am hearing in my room, with my ears and my systems are going to be entirely different than what you might hear wherever you get to make a comparison, in a different room with different electronics and your ears.

I do make comparisons when someone visits and we can change the speakers and even optimize one or several of the speakers being evaluated to get a good comparison. Then I let the visitors draw their own conclusions which often times differ from my impressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn
Hi, I have not posted in years, but this thread is close to home, I thought I can be helpful. I recently ordered the A5, upgrading from my beloved Carmel 2. I was planning to wait until I can afford to upgrade to the Hailey (or something at that price point), but after auditioning the A5, my plans changed. The A5 are indeed a game changer (I think that they are also better than the Magico S3). I am also planning to upgrade my electronics, Pass is on the top of my list.

Hi, I have not posted in years, but this thread is close to home, I thought I can be helpful. I recently ordered the A5, upgrading from my beloved Carmel 2. I was planning to wait until I can afford to upgrade to the Hailey (or something at that price point), but after auditioning the A5, my plans changed. The A5 are indeed a game changer (I think that they are also better than the Magico S3). I am also planning to upgrade my electronics, Pass is on the top of my list.
Congrats! Agree!
A5 is indeed a game changer.

Congrats! I think that because of "the situation" enough people have just not heard the A5's. Agree with you and CK....game changer and in the future when enough people have heard the A5s they will get their due accolades.

Hope that there will be a M3 Mk2 which has the aluminum-comb midrange, new M-resistors, the newer carbon enclosure of M2/6/9 ...
:D

@HenryD Congrats. But, did you compare the YG Vantage against the A5? Before going for the A5?

I think the YG Hailey 2.2 competes against the Magico S5Mk2 and not an A5.

Certainly when you consider their MSRP.

This is where Magico’s 3 tier strategy has probably taken away sales from their competitors.

But, this is still a YG thread :)

I agree it's a YG thread and shouldn't be talking about Magico, which I have participated in with a few posts, but the comparison was brought up originally by Tobiasrankin and it was too hard not to comment as I had actual experience with the speakers being discussed.

MDP632, have you heard the A5's?

I agree it's a YG thread and shouldn't be talking about Magico, which I have participated in with a few posts, but the comparison was brought up originally by Tobiasrankin and it was too hard not to comment as I had actual experience with the speakers being discussed.

Hi @Rhapsody

No, I haven’t. My experience with Magico has always been positive and yes they share more in common YG than they do differences.

I’m a fan of two way speakers.

I’m curious what we will see first a Carmel 3 from YG utilizing their new technology and amazing tweeter.

Or, an M1 from Magico (hope its a floorstander like the S1) rather than bookshelf like the Q1.

Now, that is comparison I’m looking forward to :)

Hope that there will be a M3 Mk2 which has the aluminum-comb midrange, new M-resistors, the newer carbon enclosure of M2/6/9 ...

How "old" is the M3 in the meantime? One year?
So probably only a matter of weeks... SCNR

Last edited:
Hi @Rhapsody

No, I haven’t. My experience with Magico has always been positive and yes they share more in common YG than they do differences.

I’m a fan of two way speakers.

I’m curious what we will see first a Carmel 3 from YG utilizing their new technology and amazing tweeter.

Or, an M1 from Magico (hope its a floorstander like the S1) rather than bookshelf like the Q1.

Now, that is comparison I’m looking forward to :)

I agree I personally think YG and Magico both offer many great speakers, along with a hundred other brands at this point.

The only reason I ask is after spending 7 years selling and installing 50+ pairs of Magico's (Qs, Ss, Ms and As) and having probably 20+ different demo models of the aforementioned, THE A5 IS DIFFERENT.

It's hard to discuss unless one has heard the A5 in a well set up system. Then it's a really interesting conversation. I have had it many times now with people that have heard the A5s.

I'm not saying it's better than YG or other Magico speakers, I'm saying for me the A5 does certain things that no other speaker that I have heard does.

I will bow out as you say this is a YG thread, no disrespect meant to YG.

Reactions: CKKeung and Mdp632

Your comments suggested that the A5s are better than any YG. My experience is that YGXV is a lot better than any Magico I have heard including the M and Q series. Consequently, I am very skeptical of your claims but I have not heard the A5s and probably won't unless there are shows again.

Your comments suggested that the A5s are better than any YG. My experience is that YGXV is a lot better than any Magico I have heard including the M and Q series. Consequently, I am very skeptical of your claims but I have not heard the A5s and probably won't unless there are shows again.

I apologize if it came across that I meant the A5s sounded better than the YG's, it was not my intention or do I feel that way. I was only asking if he had heard the A5's, as for me personally the A5s are different than ANY Magico speaker that I have heard.

I don't make comparisons unless I hear something optimized vs another speaker optimized and then IT IS ALL SUBJECTIVE. At this level most speakers/systems sound really good to me.

Regarding YG's I mean no disrespect to YG and am NOT inferring any comparison with the A5 and any YG model.

Your opinion is well respected regarding the YGXV, even though you are comparing it with a speaker that you have not heard. I was only referring to the A5 and not the M or Q series. I say that with living on a daily basis with most of the Q and M series and installing many of them in many different environments as well.

Chuck, I went back and read my posts, please point out to me where I said the A5s were better than any YG please? I didn't mean that with any of my posts, but after re-reading them I can't find where I said that.

Here is what I actually said-

"I'm not saying it's better than YG or other Magico speakers"

@HenryD Congrats. But, did you compare the YG Vantage against the A5? Before going for the A5?

I think the YG Hailey 2.2 competes against the Magico S5Mk2 and not an A5.

Certainly when you consider their MSRP.

This is where Magico’s 3 tier strategy has probably taken away sales from their competitors.

But, this is still a YG thread :)

I think that sonically, the A5 competes well against anything I have heard, at any price. I try not to judge products based on their price.

Reactions: Ozan K
Guys come on give YG a break in a YG thread , they are in a transitioning period .
The fact that magico finally found out after 15 years that you need at least 3 9 inchers with enough membrane surface to give a speaker a full sound is indeed noteworthy

My experience with listening to the A5s is not related to the 3 9" drivers (although they surely don't hurt) but more the physical construction of the midrange and bass drivers. The A5s do have a full bodied sound and that can be attributed to the 3 9" drivers, but other speakers have a full sound.

What is remarkable to me about the A5's is the transparency and clarity of the midrange and mid-bass, while the lower, full bass is very present. It's hearing small tiny instruments sounds on full orchestra, 15' deep into the soundstage, with literally no smear and proper tiny dynamics coming off of those tiny instrument sounds.

Anyway, it's not the fullness of the A5s that captivates me, as I have many other speakers that sound just as full bodied. It's the transparency and clarity in the midrange/mid-bass.

But does it sound natural /satisfying in the long term?
Fancy membranes / magnetsystems are may be a tour de force .

But what about after 100 hours listening to music ?
After 100 hours and all the new wears off , i could nt care less where they were made off .

But does it sound natural /satisfying in the long term?
Fancy membranes / magnetsystems are may be a tour de force .

But what about after 100 hours listening to music ?

That's quite subjective I think, for me personally I've been listening to the A5s daily for 8-12 hours/day for the last two months. I've never enjoyed listening to music as much as I have during this time.

So maybe others might not even like them, who knows??? but it would be good for someone to at least listen to them to form a real opinion imho.

Also I could care less about the membranes/construction etc, but I point to it as I realize that Alon did something different at this point that contributes to what I hear.

Reactions: ctydwn and GSOphile
My experience with listening to the A5s is not related to the 3 9" drivers (although they surely don't hurt) but more the physical construction of the midrange and bass drivers. The A5s do have a full bodied sound and that can be attributed to the 3 9" drivers, but other speakers have a full sound.

What is remarkable to me about the A5's is the transparency and clarity of the midrange and mid-bass, while the lower, full bass is very present. It's hearing small tiny instruments sounds on full orchestra, 15' deep into the soundstage, with literally no smear and proper tiny dynamics coming off of those tiny instrument sounds.

Anyway, it's not the fullness of the A5s that captivates me, as I have many other speakers that sound just as full bodied. It's the transparency and clarity in the midrange/mid-bass.

can you also comment on the depth and width of the stage? i am asking because i find them to be lacking in that department. and also because this is not the right thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing