Recent content by Atmasphere

  1. Atmasphere

    Does DSP belong in State of the Art Systems?

    Actually a DBA is about 95% effective and DSP with room treatment is the remaining 5% or so, all presented in round numbers of course ;)
  2. Atmasphere

    Does DSP belong in State of the Art Systems?

    It sounds like the intended use is to blend subs and probably deal with bass problems at the same time. One comment that seemed related is this one: So it appears that the idea of fixing bass problems is part of this, at least as others on this thread seem to be talking about. The thing is...
  3. Atmasphere

    DSD to Vinyl Versus Analog Tape to Vinyl

    Yes. What's weird about this is apparently he reported that the bandwidth of the digital recordings was messing with the cutters. Since that literally can't happen, it makes me wonder what's going on.
  4. Atmasphere

    DSD to Vinyl Versus Analog Tape to Vinyl

    The thing here is that the dynamic range of the LP is rarely explored! A silent groove cut in a lacquer is so quiet that it easily rivals the noise floor of Redbook. Until the last few years, it wasn't possible to take advantage of that, since most pressing plants make noisy pressings even...
  5. Atmasphere

    DSD to Vinyl Versus Analog Tape to Vinyl

    Who are the 'very few'?? and who cares what they think? Since I have a recording studio and have made on-location recordings, I only care about how true my system is to that experience. Don't worry about what others think- its your stereo not theirs!
  6. Atmasphere

    DSD to Vinyl Versus Analog Tape to Vinyl

    It can beat tape with ease. Vinyl has the widest bandwidth of any format commonly available (typically to 40KHz on older cutters like mine). Its noise, dynamic range and distortion are both lower than that of any tape format (although to get the benefit of that the playback apparatus really does...
  7. Atmasphere

    DSD to Vinyl Versus Analog Tape to Vinyl

    This is highly unlikely! My cutter (Westerex 3D) goes up to 40KHz easily enough (and is bandwidth limited above that frequency). Microphones don't even have bandwidth that high so what could possibly be up there that is causing a problem?? Digital noise? If so, yikes! We've mastered mostly from...
  8. Atmasphere

    I am sick of failing amplifiers

    There's not going to be heat or dust problems so that's a big help!
  9. Atmasphere

    What an OTL is, and why you should care

    The first and second versions of the toroid backplate had a design bug based on a simulation, which turned out to be incorrect. Hence the toroid two, and why the first to versions were so hard to drive! There was a resistor in them that in order to survive, was rated at 200 watts. So a lot of...
  10. Atmasphere

    I am sick of failing amplifiers

    We just serviced out an Accuphase preamp made back in the 1970s. IMO it was overbuilt insofar as the signal circuitry was concerned, but had nice power supplies and everything plugged into edge connectors- very nice construction. There's no reason tube amps can't be reliable, but in this day...
  11. Atmasphere

    SET amp owners thread

    Actually its 3dB, since adding a 2nd tube in parallel only doubles power.
  12. Atmasphere

    I am sick of failing amplifiers

    That might make it atomic!
  13. Atmasphere

    I am sick of failing amplifiers

    No output transformer and the larger transformers (there are 3 per chassis on most of our amps) are toroids. Because the amps are fully differential and balanced (One of the BAT founders was a customer of ours before they got started; we've been doing balanced operation longer than anyone else...
  14. Atmasphere

    I am sick of failing amplifiers

    Uh, try $2.00... Our MA-1 amps (in the shipping box) weigh less than half of what those BATs weigh and make over twice the power. Tube amps don't have to be heavy, but they often are...

About us

  • What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing