$10K for a used or new streamer/dac/volume

banpuku

Apr 24, 2010
MN
Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well. I am committing to digital in a meaningful (at least for me) way. Today, I have a Bluenode streamer and am controlling volume via my ipad. To my ears, the unit is a bit thin and missing some richness/body for violin and piano. Also, dynamics are OK, but I suspect more exists in a better unit.

So, I need your thoughts on a used or new streamer/dac/volume. Budget is $10K. Must have a minimum of 3Vrms output (unbalanced). Trying to avoid an overly analytical sound. Rather, dynamics and TONE are key to my tastes. I listen to chamber music and therefore, violin/piano tonality is the the top attribute I am seeking. Piano dynamics is also very important. I am open to either a used or new unit. I certainly don't mind being behind the latest release for a given unit (aka don't need to be bleeding edge). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Manufacturers - I would like to hear from you if you have suggestions from you line.

Pat

I used the Lumin X1 streamer/DAC for over five years and was very pleased, Used, it can be had for well under $10k. I recently sold it, my Lumin L2, and my pair of Benchmark AHB2 amps, but only because I'm pursuing further simplification of m audio system, not because I was at all dissatisfied sonically.

I now have Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 and believe it sounds just as fine as the Lumin/Benchmark equipment for much less money plus much added functionality all in a single box. Note my system configuration linked from my signature. I regard the ethernet optical filter as all important and the Farad LPS units as also important. For Roon, the Poor Man's Nucleus Plus is also a good choice. You can buy the Lyngdorf and all those doodads new for under $10k.

Thanks Tom for your reply. I am trying to keep my amplifiers and thus, probably would not pursue the Lyngdorf because of the built in amps.

The Lumin X1 looks interesting. Also, the MSB Discrete DAC with volume looks affordable (used). Not sure if anyone has experience with both the Lumin vs MSB products. Thoughts?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu