2019 Academy Award Nominees

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My guesses for this year's awards:

Best Picture- Green Book

I don't feel the academy will award a foreign language film and Roma was the most boring film of the year.

Best Actor- Rami Malek

Although Cooper should win the award for actually singing in a much more difficult role, its Malek or Bale and I just don't think Dick Cheney is getting an award for a movie most did not enjoy.

Best Actress- Glenn Close

There isn't any competition this year. Still chuckle at people thinking Lady Gaga was a legit contender.

Best Supporting Actor- Mahershala Ali

This is the upset potential category - Richard Grant has been around a long time. Wouldn't be surprised if he wins.

Best Supporting Actress- Rachel Weisz

Toughest on the board, but I'll go with Weisz who won the BAFTA. Regina King seems like the other contender here.

Best Director- Alfonzo Cuaron

Won the DGA, which basically means the Oscar.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My guesses for this year's awards:

Best Picture- Green Book

I don't feel the academy will award a foreign language film and Roma was the most boring film of the year.

The vegas odds are 1-3 for Roma. I don't get it.

Best Actor- Rami Malek

Although Cooper should win the award for actually singing in a much more difficult role, its Malek or Bale and I just don't think Dick Cheney is getting an award for a movie most did not enjoy.

Malek was great and I think playing Mercury was harder than playing a drunk, despite the singing part.

Best Actress- Glenn Close

There isn't any competition this year. Still chuckle at people thinking Lady Gaga was a legit contender.

A lock. I also thought The Wife was as good as any other movie this year.

Best Supporting Actress- Rachel Weisz

Toughest on the board, but I'll go with Weisz who won the BAFTA. Regina King seems like the other contender here.

I actually preferred Emma Stone but all 3 women were excellent.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Malek was great and I think playing Mercury was harder than playing a drunk, despite the singing part.

Except I didn't feel Freddie Mercury was accurately portrayed by the writers, so Malek was dealt a poor hand with banal dialogue. He's going to win because of the final 20 minutes.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Except I didn't feel Freddie Mercury was accurately portrayed by the writers, so Malek was dealt a poor hand with banal dialogue. He's going to win because of the final 10 minutes.

How was he portrayed inaccurately? I don’t have an in-depth knowledge of Mercury so I wouldn’t know that the movie wasn’t accurate.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

That was a good overall take.
Here's another one from another Academy voter:

? https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/c...her-1202043729/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

By the way the voting period is closed (yesterday), everything goes.
No one can influence the outcome.
Whatever they all say now destiny is about to meet the doors of heavens way up there with the stars ...

There are almost (just few short - 7,902) 8,000 Academy voters.
A percentage of them don't even bother voting.
Many they vote for their friends, not for the best films and the best actors.
Others give their voting privileges to their sons, daughters, grandsons, granddaughters, wives, husbands, etc.

There are 24 categories in total, and representing 52 films.
Many Academy voters didn't even see half of them, and yet they still vote.
Is it fair? Today in this world we live in the only safe and fair place is right here...@ WBF.
Anywhere else is as safe as it can be here.

Roma is going to be the big winner in my green book of cinema.
Not because film experts agree but because from everything I saw with my own eyes and ears and heart and mind this year it is. Did I miss something? Not that I am not aware of. ...Humor.

It sure is interesting fun to share the music and movies we like and like less.
It's a journey, a learning journey, an evolution based on personal life experience, on personal sensations, sensibilities and senses.

Never in history of filmmaking are we ever get closer to today's movie knowledge expansion.
_____

I need to revisit Ingmar Bergman's best films ... Federico Fellini's best films ...
Both Roma and Cold War give me the inspiration.
2018 might not have been the best year @ the movies, these two sure make the exception.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The Queen movie was marginally entertaining but I do agree that Remi's performance was stellar.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
...And another take from another Academy voter:
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/02/a...her-1202045378/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Seven Oscars to Roma, very close to me with nine. :)
That's for my vote, not necessarily what's going to happen.

What I like is that the Academian voted for Never Look Away in the Best Cinematography category.
I like that, even if I prefer both Roma and Cold War (I'm a b&w picture lover).

But I don't mind colors one single bit, to the contrary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing