3 cartridges for 3 arms.

Cleese74

Jul 28, 2019
Hello, community.

I have the possibility of having three arms on my Technics SL-1000R. I have acquired two new tonearms: Ortofon RS-309D (12) and Ortofon AS-212S (9). My phono has 3 inputs (Luxman EQ500)

Before I start buying and testing, my first thought is: How do I distribute my cartridges?

I listen to a lot of 70's prog-rock, Jazz and some Classical. Most ProgRock records are old, and most Jazz and Classical records are quite modern. My first idea is:

Cartridge 1: MM for old records (Rock/Jazz) (EX,VG+)
Cartridge 2: MC for “audiophile” Rock, Jazz and Classic (UHQR, Tone Poet, 45RPMs…)
Cartridge 3: MM/MC for Mono discs (they are the ones I have the least, but they are "audiophile" reissues)

After deciding this, it comes the Big Problem: Which capsule goes with which arm? Which one do I put on the “stock” arm of the Technics? Which one on the short arm and which one on the long one? :p

I would love to know how those of you who have more than one tonearm (or one record player) have your cartridges distributed. I know that it is a personal decision and depends on the collection and tastes but I am sure that you can help me not make a beginner mistake :)

Thanks, happy New Year!

Dogberry

Aug 24, 2022
I have settled on four arms/cartridges on two tables.
1. Nagaoka MP-500
2. Benz Micro LP-S
3. London Decca Reference
4. Benz Micro Ruby 3 converted to mono

1. is for all records being played for the first time, as it has an interchangeable stylus.
2. and 3. are my favourite stereo cartridges, and I can't really pick one over the other, so I keep both in use.
4. Obviously for mono records.
For variety, however, the MP-500 is on an arm with interchangeable headshells, and I have three spares that I keep other cartridges on when I want a change.

Reactions: Cleese74

Cleese74

Jul 28, 2019
I have settled on four arms/cartridges on two tables.
1. Nagaoka MP-500
2. Benz Micro LP-S
3. London Decca Reference
4. Benz Micro Ruby 3 converted to mono

1. is for all records being played for the first time, as it has an interchangeable stylus.
2. and 3. are my favourite stereo cartridges, and I can't really pick one over the other, so I keep both in use.
4. Obviously for mono records.
For variety, however, the MP-500 is on an arm with interchangeable headshells, and I have three spares that I keep other cartridges on when I want a change.
Thank you :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing