Adding a pair of 8 ohm speakers in spite of the user manual...

vigusmao

Jun 21, 2024
Rio de Janeiro
Hello everybody.

Apologies for the noob question.

I have recently bought a Marantz PM6007, and I'm using a pair of 4-Ohm B&W DM610. The sound is great to my ears.

Here's the question. I'm considering adding a pair of lower power speakers to output B just to add some ambience, but the manual says that, in order to have two pairs of speakers (one at output A, one at B), both sets must be 8-16 Ohms. A 4-Ohm pair of speakers should be the only one in the system (connected to A, nothing at B). Since I have the B&W's at output A, there's absolutely no way I could connect a 2nd pair of speakers to output B? What would be the consequences of attempting to do so?

Thanks, guys!
Vinícius

Your amp does not want to have less than 4 ohms as its load.

4 ohms = 4 ohms.
4 in parallel with 8 is less than 3.
4 in parallel with 16 is just a tad over 3.
8 in parallel with 8 is 4.
16 in parallel with 8 is a bit over 5.
16 in parallel with 16 is 8.

So … once you’ve got one pair of 4 ohms, adding anything else will draw more current than your amp will want to handle. It may sound OK, but it will most likely have a shorter than normal life. And it may not sound OK since you’ll be making your amp work harder than intended.

Take the fours off and run two pairs of 8s if you really want to have two stereo pairs. I’m not clear on why you would like this. Usually if two pairs are chosen, it’s to bring the music to a separate location.

Hello everybody.

I have recently bought a Marantz PM6007, and I'm using a pair of 4-Ohm B&W DM610. The sound is great to my ears.

Here's the question. I'm considering adding a pair of lower power speakers to output B just to add some ambience, but the manual says that, in order to have two pairs of speakers (one at output A, one at B), both sets must be 8-16 Ohms. A 4-Ohm pair of speakers should be the only one in the system (connected to A, nothing at B). Since I have the B&W's at output A, there's absolutely no way I could connect a 2nd pair of speakers to output B? What would be the consequences of attempting to do so?

Thanks, guys!
Vinícius
Hello, I would personally buy one more amplifier to power the bass section separately, this second amplifier must have an adjustable input signal and I recommend this amplifier https://stereo-magazine.com/review/nad-c-298-review
Zdenek

Hello everybody.

Thanks, guys!
Vinícius
Hello, I would personally buy one more amplifier to power the bass section separately, this second amplifier must have an adjustable input signal and I recommend this amplifier https://stereo-magazine.com/review/nad-c-298-review
Zdenek

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu