Admitting my error…

dgale

Sep 22, 2020
Admitting my error of some years ago, when downsizing residences I sold my 1500 lps (my father's, uncle's and my collection :) because of course, nearly everything is available digitally, I am considering getting back into vinyl. Kit-wise I'm looking at Dr. Feikert Venti/J Sikora Initial TT level - full kit approx $15k including phonostage.

What inspires me is the Joseph Audio/Doshi/Aurender/J Sikora room at AXPONA. Simply blew me away. Switching between amazing digital and uber-rich and detailed analog, I kept returning to the room like the sweets table at a Bar Mitzvah. I understand that at $250K the rig was 2x's mine (Pathos Heritage /Tannoy Kensignton/Innuous Zenith MK3/Phoenix USB & NET/Chord HMS/DAVE w/ SJ DC4 ARC6 lpsu.) The character of the vinyl sound was utterly entrancing.

My question: If I go this route, I'd like to "restock" my collection to some extent by purchasing a reasonably sized vinyl lot, then add selectively over time. Any recommendations as to lot purchasing? ("Don't do it!" is an acceptable recommendation.)
TIA

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
If you want only ' the best ' analog you will need to pick each carefully. Me I kinda like getting a collection and seeing what's in it ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I say meet and make friends with record sellers. The cool ones will sacrifice some time to build up small lots for you, pre-curated to an extent.

Trying to acquire large lots can be uncomfortable because often times these are collections of people that have recently passed on. My good friend and neighbor passed away and a year later I asked my wife to ask his what the family's plans were for his record collection. They opted to keep it so I just said that should they decide to let the collection go, intact, that they keep me in mind. That's all that can be done.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Check out some vintage stores in your area, they might have some gems from the past, and may cut you a nice deal should you choose to buy in bulk. :)

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
What inspires me is the Joseph Audio/Doshi/Aurender/J Sikora room at AXPONA. Simply blew me away. Switching between amazing digital and uber-rich and detailed analog, I kept returning to the room like the sweets table at a Bar Mitzvah. I understand that at $250K the rig was 2x's mine (Pathos Heritage /Tannoy Kensignton/Innuous Zenith MK3/Phoenix USB & NET/Chord HMS/DAVE w/ SJ DC4 ARC6 lpsu.) The character of the vinyl sound was utterly entrancing.
To me, Chord is far superior to Aurender digital sound. So it's never a surprise that vinyl sounds better than Aurender digital. I seriously wonder if you simply like the Axpona demo because Joseph Audio speakers to me are far superior to Tannoy Kensington. And perhaps you prefer Doshi over the Pathos. Some people just love vinyl so if that's what you want, that's what you want. But I would seriously consider getting a dealer to allow for a home demo of better/different speakers before going back to vinyl.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
To me, Chord is far superior to Aurender digital sound. So it's never a surprise that vinyl sounds better than Aurender digital. I seriously wonder if you simply like the Axpona demo because Joseph Audio speakers to me are far superior to Tannoy Kensington. And perhaps you prefer Doshi over the Pathos. Some people just love vinyl so if that's what you want, that's what you want. But I would seriously consider getting a dealer to allow for a home demo of better/different speakers before going back to vinyl.
You do understand that he preferred the vinyl to digital in the same room on the same speakers correct?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Buying lots is really difficult and it's won hobby actually. Many people enjoy buying lots and sorting through the records. I would find a few ebay sellers with large collections, buy some test records to see if you agree/like their grading method, and then buy a large selection from them after negotiating quantity discount.

Reactions: Solypsa

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
You do understand that he preferred the vinyl to digital in the same room on the same speakers correct?
I understand that he prefers vinyl to Aurender digital in the same room on the same speakers.
That does not mean necessarily that he would prefer vinyl to his Chord digital setup in the same room on the same speakers.
This is why I think before switching back to vinyl at great cost, he should explore demoing speakers first.

But I also fully acknowledge that some people just prefer vinyl to all digital including Chord, MSB, dCS, Aurender, etc.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I understand that he prefers vinyl to Aurender digital in the same room on the same speakers.
That does not mean necessarily that he would prefer vinyl to his Chord digital setup in the same room on the same speakers.
This is why I think before switching back to vinyl at great cost, he should explore demoing speakers first.

But I also fully acknowledge that some people just prefer vinyl to all digital including Chord, MSB, dCS, Aurender, etc.
It's an unusual suggestion. I would think that you would recommend a digital set up that is more analog sounding then recommending new speakers.

Cheers.

Reactions: Rexp

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing