Aesthetix Metis Linestage

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Fatter was in the context of bass response. Most noticable in the Madonna track.

Warmer was in the context of midrange and it was pervasive. Everything sounded a little "warmer" and more realistic. This may be due to subtle noise or distortion that the Metis gets rid of versus a frequency response change?
Thank you.

Reactions: Dierkx1

xagwell

Dec 1, 2023
Detroit MI
This is my first post and this thread was oh so timely as I have decided to move away from my beloved ARC LS-15 and go Aesthetix Calypso Eclipse to mate with my Rhea Eclipse. I had seriously considered a Ref 6SE but thought some system synergy would be provided with the Calypso. I know I have talked Glenn's ear off I'm sure. The Metis feedback was on point! I'll try to adjust profile data so my system and location is shared on posts unless it's on auto. I welcome all feedback on the Calypso vs Metis assuming that I won't lose sleep not staying with ARC

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is my first post and this thread was oh so timely as I have decided to move away from my beloved ARC LS-15 and go Aesthetix Calypso Eclipse to mate with my Rhea Eclipse. I had seriously considered a Ref 6SE but thought some system synergy would be provided with the Calypso. I know I have talked Glenn's ear off I'm sure. The Metis feedback was on point! I'll try to adjust profile data so my system and location is shared on posts unless it's on auto. I welcome all feedback on the Calypso vs Metis assuming that I won't lose sleep not staying with ARC
Welcome to WBF. xagwell!

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Welcome xagwell!

A funny thing happened (to me) on the way to musical ecstasy…

I have owned a Calypso and Rhea and loved them. Sent both five years later to be Signature updated and enjoyed the heck out of those improvements. Now my beloved Rhea has been Eclipsed (to spectacular results) and the Calypso has made room for a Metis. What a long great trip it’s been.

Well, it has been several months now, lots of good listening, and though I felt like this may have been a bit of an extravagance, because how much better could the musical performance actually get? I can confirm that the Aesthetix team has outdone themselves with this new reference design.

There are only four values, one elegant chassis, and no additional boxes as it has on board power supplies and yet it is perfectly clear to me that the Metis could very well outperform their previous three box Callisto! Of which I have listened to extensively in pre-eclipse levels.

It is so amazingly quiet and incredibly transparent. I truly don’t believe I could be more happy with this (kit) combination. With my OTL Atma-Sphere power amps the combined performance is otherworldly. Tonality and speed set a new standard for me and the soundstage is immense with this latest addition to the point that I am not searching anymore. This is it!

Backpackers very well written comments earlier in this thread I would have to echo here. He covered most of what my listening experience can confirm but I could not find adequate words to express.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Backpacker

Jul 12, 2020
I get to here this piece in my system next week. Quite excited...
Please let us know how it sounds in your system
It would be nice to know the associated equipment too

Reactions: Ron Resnick

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
I love my Metis indeed, and with its chrome knobs, and it does evoke fireworks and a lovely feminine side to appropriate musical selections but it does not quite remind me of what we have here. Simply precious.

Reactions: Ricky64

Ricky64

Apr 17, 2021
I love my Metis indeed, and with its chrome knobs, and it does evoke fireworks and a lovely feminine side to appropriate musical selections but it does not quite remind me of what we have here. Simply precious.
So, for awhile, the Metis has been about as cuddly as a FemBot in my system... There were brand new tubes included. I am now running continuously, and hearing significant improvement. Judgements on hold for now.

Ricky64

Apr 17, 2021
FYI, I am currently running a Grimm Mu2, Gryphon Essence Stereo Amp, Rockport Atria ii's. Tara Lab 0.8 cabling.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
So, for awhile, the Metis has been about as cuddly as a FemBot in my system... There were brand new tubes included. I am now running continuously, and hearing significant improvement. Judgements on hold for now.
As I commented before, mine came to me with less than one year of light use by a reputable gentleman. It seemed to settle in almost immediately. It arrived with a full complement of NOS Telefunkens. The 12AX7s are smooth plate as they should be. So there was no Fembot action whatsoever for me. But temper all this with the understanding of me being a long time Aesthetix listener/fan.

Are you running the stock tube compliment provided by Aesthetix?

Last edited:

Ricky64

Apr 17, 2021
As I commented before, mine came to me with less than one year of light use by a reputable gentleman. It seemed to settle in almost immediately. It arrived with a full complement of NOS Telefunkens. The 12AX7s are smooth plate as they should be. So there was no Fembot action whatsoever for me. But temper all this with the understanding of me being a long time Aesthetix listener/fan.

Are you running the stock tube compliment?
Yes, they were new tubes. Demo straight from the factory. I ran intermittently last week. Now going straight for about 48 hours. Also installed some better isolating power cables. I think new tubes and system noise were an issue. I've owned a Pandora, and listened to Aesthetix at RMAF many times. Sound last pm and this am settling in to more predicted results.

Ricky64

Apr 17, 2021
The Metis shipped with new tubes. It sounded frankly terrible intially; all sorts of odd phase related sounds. These completely resolved with about 72 hours of burn in. After that, it sounded quite extraordinary. Excellent 3D soundstage, nice rounding and shaping of vocals and instruments. In the end, there was a slight alteration of tonality of the deeper instruments that just wasn't to my taste. I discussed with my dealer. I think the Metis may be the ultimate tube/imaging machine. I just have a preference for the solid state sound. I am going with an Accuphase C3900. It doesn't offer as much airiness or holography as the Metis, but I do prefer the image density and "directness". Again, I think this is just a personal preference. I really liked the interface of the Metis, and believe Jim White is a genius. If anyone else out there reviews this comment as a reference, I would highly recommend this piece. As with all pre amps, it helps paint the sound in the way that you prefer, to bring you the experience you enjoy.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
The Metis shipped with new tubes. It sounded frankly terrible intially; all sorts of odd phase related sounds. These completely resolved with about 72 hours of burn in. After that, it sounded quite extraordinary. Excellent 3D soundstage, nice rounding and shaping of vocals and instruments. In the end, there was a slight alteration of tonality of the deeper instruments that just wasn't to my taste. I discussed with my dealer. I think the Metis may be the ultimate tube/imaging machine. I just have a preference for the solid state sound. I am going with an Accuphase C3900. It doesn't offer as much airiness or holography as the Metis, but I do prefer the image density and "directness". Again, I think this is just a personal preference. I really liked the interface of the Metis, and believe Jim White is a genius. If anyone else out there reviews this comment as a reference, I would highly recommend this piece. As with all pre amps, it helps paint the sound in the way that you prefer, to bring you the experience you enjoy.
I would only caution you that though this may be more than you or someone else cares to deal with, NOS tubes create nothing short of a huge voicing refinement to this already excellent piece of gear. I have had a Rhea phonostage for well over a decade and the Metis is now my second preamp by Aesthetix so I have done a bit of rolling. And what I’ve learned along the way is that NOS tube selection takes this sound to a whole nother level and voices it specifically to your ear and emotional/expressive needs musically. If you were anywhere near the Detroit area, I would invite you over and let you hear the difference between what a stock current production set of tubes sounds like as opposed to hand selected vintage set sounds like, and this component only takes four tubes. Imho I could not live with the stock tube sound now that I have experienced the difference(.) It is truly a paradigm shift. It would be unfortunate for you to not know the difference, if you don’t. But I totally respect you crafting a kit that brings you personal satisfaction.

Last edited:

Ricky64

Apr 17, 2021
I would only caution you that though this may be more than you or someone else cares to deal with, NOS tubes create nothing short of a huge voicing refinement to this already excellent piece of gear. I have had a Rhea phonostage for well over a decade and the Metis is now my second preamp by Aesthetix so I have done a bit of rolling. And what I’ve learned along the way is that NOS tube selection takes this sound to a whole nother level and voices it specifically to your ear and emotional/expressive needs musically. If you were anywhere near the Detroit area, I would invite you over and let you hear the difference between what a stock current production set of tubes sounds like as opposed to hand selected vintage set sounds like, and this component only takes four tubes. Imho I could not live with the stock tube sound now that I have experienced the difference(.) It is truly a paradigm shift. It would be unfortunate for you to not know the difference, if you don’t. But I totally respect you crafting a kit that brings you personal satisfaction.
Thanks for your reply. I agree the Metis is excellent, and I can understand the benefits of tube rolling. I am a big fan of Aesthetix. At the end, no "caution" is needed. I worked with my dealer who has both Aesthetix and Accuphase, and loves both. This was a situation where my preference leaned toward a slightly warm solid state vs tube.
If I am in the Detroit area, I would love to hear your system. I grew up on a farm about 4 hours south, about 30 minutes west of I 75, though now am in Boulder. If I come by though, I will be wearing scarlet and gray....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing