AFTER DARK OPTICAL ISOLATOR AND MORE - Your opinions?

Tool

Nov 4, 2022
Hello all,

I would like to know your opinion about this product: GIESEMANN REFERENCE SFP OPTICAL ISOLATOR PA1, it has 3 options, including one with a clock OCXC.
If you have other suggestions such as Optical Network Converter, with pleasure.

Thank you

This is a Fiber Media Converter (FMC) with clock options.

There are a bazillion generic FMCs on the market, and at least two audiophile versions, the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe and the LHY FMC. There are also numerous generic and audiophile switches that include fiber media conversion, without requiring a separate FMC.

If you believe an external clock is a good thing, the AfterDark device may be of interest. Personally I am not convinced an external clock is a great idea. Ed Meitner thinks it is a terrible idea, and any the measurements I have seen show deteriorated technical performance.

There are a bazillion generic FMCs on the market, and at least two audiophile versions, the Sonore opticalModule Deluxe and the LHY FMC. There are also numerous generic and audiophile switches that include fiber media conversion, without requiring a separate FMC.

If you believe an external clock is a good thing, the AfterDark device may be of interest. Personally I am not convinced an external clock is a great idea. Ed Meitner thinks it is a terrible idea, and any the measurements I have seen show deteriorated technical performance.
Also the Uptone EtherRegen.

Also the Uptone EtherRegen.
The EtherRegen can be used as an FMC, but it is a switch (actually two internally isolated switches). If used as an FMC, there should only be one connection on the A-side (optical) and one on the B-side (copper).

I have a Melco S100 and I am using an FMC PT Link MC220L that I would like to upgrade.
If I buy the FMC Aftedark, will it be the version with the clock

The EtherRegen can be used as an FMC, but it is a switch (actually two internally isolated switches). If used as an FMC, there should only be one connection on the A-side (optical) and one on the B-side (copper).
I tested the EtherRegen it in this FMC configuration , and didn't like the result.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
Exactly how I have it set up. As you advised me. Could not be happier.

I tested the EtherRegen it in this FMC configuration , and didn't like the result.
Interesting, how long did you have it in your system, was it new?
Also were you using an external clock.
One mans garbage is another mans gold.

I used it for a week in my system as an FMC instead of the mc220l with the Melco and the result was disappointing.
I don't have an external clock.
Not for you I guess.
Was it new? If so a week was selling the EtherRegen short, for sure.

I used it for a week in my system as an FMC instead of the mc220l with the Melco and the result was disappointing.
I don't have an external clock.
Also what FMC are you using?

I have a Melco S100 and I am using an FMC PT Link MC220L that I would like to upgrade.
I own an MC220L, 10GTek 1G, EtherRegen and opticalModule Deluxe v2. The ER is a great switch but, IMO, the oMD sounds the best of these, when used purely as an FMC. The ER is best used as a switch, to take advantage of its isolation moat.

Both the ER and oMD were designed by John Swenson, but years apart. The original oMD and ER were discontinued due to the chip shortage (the original ER has since been revived). The oMD v2 uses a different chip, and the new chip required other changes. The oMD v2 is reportedly a big step up from the original. I believe the new EtherRegen will also include the new chip.
If I buy the FMC Aftedark, will it be the version with the clock
An external clock version might make sense if you are using the clock to synch more than one device. For reclocking a single device, I am skeptical that this is a good idea.

UpTone recommends that the EtherRegen should be the final device before the endpoint. Did you try that?

I own an MC220L, 10GTek 1G, EtherRegen and opticalModule Deluxe v2. The ER is a great switch but, IMO, the oMD sounds the best of these, when used purely as an FMC. The ER is best used as a switch, to take advantage of its isolation moat.

Both the ER and oMD were designed by John Swenson, but years apart. The original oMD and ER were discontinued due to the chip shortage (the original ER has since been revived). The oMD v2 uses a different chip, and the new chip required other changes. The oMD v2 is reportedly a big step up from the original. I believe the new EtherRegen will also include the new chip.

An external clock version might make sense if you are using the clock to synch more than one device. For reclocking a single device, I am skeptical that this is a good idea.
What model do you recommend as an FMC that can work well with Melco?
Why do you think the Afterdark with clock is a bad idea?

What model do you recommend as an FMC that can work well with Melco?
I have tested the oMD v2 with linear power supply against an LHY SW-10, and the oMD was preferred. The oMD would certainly work with the Melco. I expect the AfterDark FMC would also work. but I have not seen any comparison or test of the AD. Up to now, my opinion is that the oMD v2 is the best FMC on the market. It sounds great with a Teddy Pardo MiniTeddy, and I'm sure many other high quality PSUs.
Why do you think the Afterdark with clock is a bad idea?
Measurements I have seen, in two websites, found that performance was compromised when using an external clock. This one for example:

Conclusion
It is strange but true: actually the switch with the external clock does not measure as well. We see peaks of the clock reflected in the noise. And with the Dlink, some extra grass shows up.

The switch with external clock sounds a bit lighter – less rounded – but does allow transients to flow more, which is nice. It is mostly different … but thus not better in all areas we think.

There's also this from Ed Meitner:

JVS: You don't believe in using an external word clock. Why?
EM: Because I think this is the most stupid thing I've ever heard in the audio business. That means you have a precision clock that you have to connect to a wire to connect to a DAC, when the clock should be straight away where it belongs, inside the DAC, beside the DAC chip, if there is such a thing—not through a cable in a different box. This is so idiotic, it's not even funny. It's a money grab.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/meitner-emm-dv2-dsd-mqa-digital-audio

I have never heard a switch with an external clock, but I suspect it sounds different rather than objectively better, which some may prefer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu