Alexa Echo Show - Drop in feature

JoelW77

Mar 15, 2022
I'm not into audio or even into electronics, but I'm hoping the experts here can answer a question...
To be clear; this is about the 'Drop In' feature with the Alexa Echo Show v8, not the Alexa Dots.
First: with my cell phone on 'speaker', I can be heard clearly from at least 6 feet away. This is normal, and common. The question is, why does the Alexa Show have a distant sound, even inches away from it? Adjusting the volume, base, and treble does very little.
My parents are bed ridden in separate rooms, and we thought this would be a god-send -- with but a command they could see and hear each other. It was great at first, but the experience paled quickly. They have enough troubles, and being barely able to hear each other is not one I had expected. (and there's nothing better on the market).
All of the discussions on this Alexa audio issue - and they are extensive - talk about wiring, signal interference, and even the plastic still being over the microphone. We also tried setting up a good set of blue tooth speakers, but got little improvement.
It'd be great if someone had a ready solution, but for now I'd just be fascinated to know why the Alexa doesn't have the microphone and speaker capabilities of a common cellphone.
Thanx for your time and consideration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing