Alexx concerns

Kippyy

Feb 20, 2011
San Ramon, CA
I upgraded from Alexia v1 to the Alexx a few months ago. Despite break in and professional alignment of drivers and positioning, I'm not really satisfied with the sound.
In particular:
A- The bass is very subdued compared to the Alexias. Its there, but its very much in the background.
Even on Come Together, you can barely 'feel it' at loud volumes.

B-At volumes I like to listen, certain electric guitar leads, piano notes or vocals seem a bit harsh.
I wonder if this is just how realistic or accurate the speaker presents the recording but it doesnt seem as full-bodied a presentation as the Alexias. This quality makes me feel that I am too close to the speakers, and that I have to reduce the volume to tolerate the treble which reduces the visceral impact I’d like to get from listening.

Any counsel is appreciated.
Barry

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
I upgraded from Alexia v1 to the Alexx a few months ago. Despite break in and professional alignment of drivers and positioning, I'm not really satisfied with the sound.
In particular:
A- The bass is very subdued compared to the Alexias. Its there, but its very much in the background.
Even on Come Together, you can barely 'feel it' at loud volumes.

B-At volumes I like to listen, certain electric guitar leads, piano notes or vocals seem a bit harsh.
I wonder if this is just how realistic or accurate the speaker presents the recording but it doesnt seem as full-bodied a presentation as the Alexias. This quality makes me feel that I am too close to the speakers, and that I have to reduce the volume to tolerate the treble which reduces the visceral impact I’d like to get from listening.

Any counsel is appreciated.
Barry

Barry,

First, congratulations on your Alexx upgrade. I personally own Alexias (original) and feel that the Alexx's are a better speaker.

If you are not satisfied with you dealer installation, I would contact Wilson directly. Although, your dealer should go the extra mile to ensure the best possible setup for the speakers in your room. The Wilson team will respond accordingly.

Keep us posted!

Mike

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Barry
I would have the same comments I posted elsewhere. :D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did you try changing the position of the bass port?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Having owned the Alexias and heard the Alexx only at Axpona there is no question in my mind that the Alexx is a much, much better speaker. It may be that you have to work on speaker positioning to get a better bass response - or perhaps something more to your taste. The Alexias were very generous in the bass (too much so imo) and I would guess that the Alexx is more linear.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
hello Barry,

a question; did you hear the Alexx perform in any other system or room to a satisfying level in these same areas of concern?

if you did; possibly return to that reference, bring your own reference music, and confirm the differences to establish in your mind where you are going. when you delegate your reference to someone else, I don't care who it is, you are then buying into them finding their satisfaction, not yours.

you have to start with hopefully hearing the gear you choose doing what you want. otherwise how do you know it can? once you know it can, it's a matter of figuring it out.

good luck with it.

Mike

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
All good suggestions so far. Definitely work with your dealer on this... There's usually a few spots where the Wilsons will work in a given room, so it pays to experiment.

One question, though: what's the rest of your setup?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Barry
I am not surprised at your observations in setting up the Alexx. I have Alexandrias and to be frank, they are a bitch to set up properly and are by far the toughest speakers I have ever set-up over many years in this hobby. It has taken me a year to optimize their set-up, and that is in what I think is a pretty good room. I recently wrote a user guide for another listener to setting up Alexandrias that you might find useful since the Alexx shares many of the same traits as the Alexandrias. PM me for more. I would also ask, who is your dealer? Some are more talented than others in providing the assistance it sounds like you are seeking.
Marty

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Barry
I am not surprised at your observations in setting up the Alexx. I have Alexandrias and to be frank, they are a bitch to set up properly and are by far the toughest speakers I have ever set-up over many years in this hobby. It has taken me a year to optimize their set-up, and that is in what I think is a pretty good room. I recently wrote a user guide for another listener to setting up Alexandrias that you might find useful since the Alexx shares many of the same traits as the Alexandrias. PM me for more. I would also ask, who is your dealer? Some are more talented than others in providing the assistance it sounds like you are seeking.
Marty

Agree on set-up (Super finicky Alexandria).....Dealer did a horrible job. It is very important for speakers to be level fore and aft, side to side and of course the correct symmetric toe angle. It goes without saying you have used the propagation tables for your setup, seating distance. Sounds easy. It's not and takes patience. Use a laser measure tool to site in the toe angle exactly...if you are off by even 1/2" in toe symmetry, they won't image at their best. Hang in there. You will be rewarded with perseverance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing