Ampex 354

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Okay, so I'm struggling to fulfill my audio nirvana via R2R. I just lost on a minty Revox PR99 Mk2 with new heads. Bidding was at 1,795.00 with 30 seconds left. I figured I would throw out $2525.00 as a max bid...too much I tihink... anyhow, the winning bid was $2,575. At least I made him/her pay for it...:p

What's the deal on this oldie ? Does it have NAB eq ? Am I getting myself into a headache ?

How does it sound via the tube output ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220912471221?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Last edited:

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
re: Ampex 354 and PR-99

Looked at that PR-99- YIKES! That is about double what I figured it would bring. New heads are about $300-$500. Most Pr99s in good shape go for around $1000 +/- averaged over the last 5 years. That seller did VERY well IMO. The PR-99 mark II/III is pretty much a B77 with a slightly better transport(tension arm on supply side added on PR-99), auto-locator(digital tape counter with auto locate and zero locate, etc.) and balanced inputs and outputs with choice of calibrated levels on the input and/or outputs.

354 Ampex electronics are considered the worst of the 35X tube line.

R Brown
Portland, Oregon

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have seen PR-99s go for far less. For the price this guy is asking for the Ampex 354, you could almost buy a Studer A-80. I would take the Studer A-80 any day over the Ampex.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thnx guys. Rich...I hopefully will get a 1500 by tuesday if I win the auction. I will still need another deck for record/dubs off the 1500.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Wow, that's a lot of money for a 1962 machine! Back in 1972 they required a fair amount of maintenance time and effort. I'll bet that upkeep will be expensive.

The only output is through the 6DJ8 tubes. The headphone output just skips the transformer.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Okay, so I'm struggling to fulfill my audio nirvana via R2R. I just lost on a minty Revox PR99 Mk2 with new heads. Bidding was at 1,795.00 with 30 seconds left. I figured I would throw out $2525.00 as a max bid...too much I tihink... anyhow, the winning bid was $2,575. At least I made him/her pay for it...:p

What's the deal on this oldie ? Does it have NAB eq ? Am I getting myself into a headache ?

How does it sound via the tube output ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220912471221?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Hi Christian
I guest the level of vinyl system which you are using then you should go for Studer or Ampex, although Revox has lot of parts and can be easily for service,but will not be the level for you. from Studer A810 and up models with serviced will ask from $5k but compare to a cart still a big bargain, take chance you will find one from some radio station or studio because they are switching to digital
good luck
tony ma

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
354 Ampex electronics are considered the worst of the 35X tube line.

R Brown
Portland, Oregon

Really......who ever said that?

Tom

Tom B.

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Never put my 354 up against a 351; it's certainly quieter than my 350's. The tight chassis layout makes it more difficult to service than a 351/350, but nothing screams 'worst' of the series.

I certainly disagree with the 'common knowledge' comment, but you are entitled to your opinion.

Tom

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
So I have a King modified Otari MTR-10 and Technics 1500 on the way. I am going to use a King/Cello tape pre. Let the games begin ! :cool: Thanks for the input fella's.

U47

Apr 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
www.reeltapes.net
Otari

Good move on the Otari MTR-10. I really like the MTR decks and they are still a bargain. Two members of our Pacific Northwest Tape Club have MTR-15s( a total of 6 decks!) and they are super sweet machines. For transport duty , they do the JOB! I think you'll love the K/C preamp. I'm listening to mine right now- playing Tchaikovsky: Francesca da Rimini on Decca.

This thread makes me think of Vincent Gallo's article in an old Sound Practices magazine about old gear versus new. I have similar feelings about great old vintage stuff versus more modern gear. It is a pretty hilarious read. He bought a mint Ampex 351 from me in the mid to late 80s that ended up in one of Oliver Stone's films(JFK or Doors).

Rich

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
So I have a King modified Otari MTR-10 and Technics 1500 on the way. I am going to use a King/Cello tape pre. Let the games begin ! :cool: Thanks for the input fella's.

Ha ha ....welcome to the club. Once you've heard 15 ips tape, there's no going back ;)

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
The 354's electronics were the same as those squeezed into the one-motor, budgetary Ampex PR-10 from 1962 (a deck with a notorious failure-prone reputation: from -mainly- having a convoluted braking system with drive belts arranged in a Rube Goldberg-type way). However, for an "entry point" into the lineage of the 350/351 sound, a 354 would seem like a practical proposition (since the factory already provided the "Franken-deck" cross-modding of, obviously, a ten-times superior and legendary transport off the pro model).
Another approach would be: to source two examples of the 1953, oddball 400 model mono "portable" deck (with the capstan drive mounted on the LEFT of the headblock) and, carve out the two 350 preamps from them and partner with a more standard transport.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing