Amplification conundrum - Rockport Atria II

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Folks, an update on the amplification. I decided to go with the Soulution 511 and traded the VAC preamp with a fellow enthusiast. I am currently using the dCS Bartok as a preamp. There is a Soulution 520 for sale that is mighty tempting at this stage but that got to wait.
The Atria II sounds very good with 511 especially with bottom end extension.

AVphile

Mar 14, 2020
Congratulations. Below is some information from experience with these speakers that may help.

If I recall, Andy told me that the IIs were voiced on tube stuff. He can tell you which.
I have Atria II. Purpose built small room(17 x 12 x 9), Discussed how to power them with every U.S. Rockport dealer before purchase. My old MC275 Mark IV was said to be more than adequate, and sounded good as it turned out. Now use VTLS200, much better on large scale orchestral.
After purchasing the Atria II, I also auditioned Mc275 Mark VI, Moon 760a, Mac MC462, Gryphon 300 at Stereo Exchange in NYC. The speakers were Atria 2, Cables from Transparent, Mytek streamer. Everyone (including 2 store employees) thought MC275, which measures around 90 watts, was best-some of the source material was Lori Liberman, who had performed LIVE in the same venue for these employees, and I have heard her live at Carnegie Hall, so this was a pretty good experiment.

musher
I have just purchased McIntosh MC 611s (which, I believe, are somewhat similar sonically) and am considering the Atria IIs. I am curious, if you recall, how the MC 462 sounded with them.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have just purchased McIntosh MC 611s (which, I believe, are somewhat similar sonically) and am considering the Atria IIs. I am curious, if you recall, how the MC 462 sounded with them.
Well done on the mcintosh.I have a mc462 power amp and love it.cart see this amplifer sound bad with any speaker setup

Last edited:

musher

May 6, 2017
I did not like the mc462 , although it may not have been broken in or fully warmed up, the mc275 and moon were much better

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
I had just completed the all Soulution setup- 520/511. Tempted to upgrade to the Pilium Audio Leonidas integrated. Let’s see.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing