Amplifier Triode/Ultra Linear Switch Pop sound

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hello all,

I'm writing on behalf of my friend, a newbie of sorts, who bought a Rogers 65V-1 integrated tube amplifier a couple of days ago. While he loved the sound on first listen, he found out that switching the toggle from triode to UL gives off a loud pop that is startling. Switching back gives the same pop sound volume. And upon shut down there is a pop that is not as loud.

He is bothered by this, and main concern is the pop might damage his speakers eventually. He also wondered if this is normal for a triode/UL switch to go on popping each time the switch is flicked. Any inputs would be appreciated.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not sure about Rogers amps specifically, but many tube amps with triode/UL switching recommend it only be switched when powered off.

Thanks, Bill. But my friend said that the Rogers always defaults to UL mode when shut down. So the only way to switch it to Triode mode is when it is turned on.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I bet he’s not muting the preamp when he switches from one to another. Hence the loud pop

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. He said there is no mute switch. I told him to switch to another input that has no connection, same pop sound.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I just looked at the manufacturer's webpage for the amp but I can't find an online manual. I see that there's a switch to select between headphone or speaker output, so I'd suggest selecting headphones before changing between triode and UL modes and then switch back. I think that is likely to eliminate the pop heard through the speakers.

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just looked at the manufacturer's webpage for the amp but I can't find an online manual. I see that there's a switch to select between headphone or speaker output, so I'd suggest selecting headphones before changing between triode and UL modes and then switch back. I think that is likely to eliminate the pop heard through the speakers.

Great idea, will relay to my friend. Thanks again.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

My friend just tried this process, Bill, and it worked! My friend is so happy now he could sleep well tonight. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Glad we were able to come up with a viable solution, maybe it should be passed along to Rogers to be documented in their manual.

Will suggest to my friend. :)

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The switch changes the bias condition of the output tubes. I'd expect a pop, and agree with those who say it should only be changed with the amp off. If the headphones are driven from the output and/or disconnect the speakers that will eliminate the pop, but I would wait a minute or so for the amp to settle before switching the speakers back on. A lot of tube amps (no idea about this particular one) have LF transients that need a little time to settle out when switching modes of operation like that.

IME/IMO - Don

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The switch changes the bias condition of the output tubes. I'd expect a pop, and agree with those who say it should only be changed with the amp off. If the headphones are driven from the output and/or disconnect the speakers that will eliminate the pop, but I would wait a minute or so for the amp to settle before switching the speakers back on. A lot of tube amps (no idea about this particular one) have LF transients that need a little time to settle out when switching modes of operation like that.

IME/IMO - Don

Thanks, Don.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
NP. I have had a few amps over the years (SS and tube) that allowed one to change state, e.g. from A to AB, from triode to pentode, etc. Even AC vs. DC coupled. I think every one said to do it only when the amplifier was off. Made sense to me...

If this amp does not say such a thing, or rather if it says you can switch states while playing, then I would ask the manufacturer about it as some sort of soft-switch circuit may have gone bad. If it warns against switching or says nothing I would assume they did not plan on switching while operating.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
NP. I have had a few amps over the years (SS and tube) that allowed one to change state, e.g. from A to AB, from triode to pentode, etc. Even AC vs. DC coupled. I think every one said to do it only when the amplifier was off. Made sense to me...

If this amp does not say such a thing, or rather if it says you can switch states while playing, then I would ask the manufacturer about it as some sort of soft-switch circuit may have gone bad. If it warns against switching or says nothing I would assume they did not plan on switching while operating.

Thanks again for the advice, Don. Will relay to my friend.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing