An audio manufacturer's take on measurements....

Synaxis

Jan 3, 2024
USA
Interesting to hear his personal opinion based on his decades of experience designing and building high end gear going back decades ago with Blue Circle.

Reactions: Robh3606
As an end user (audio hobbyist) I think of myself as an applications engineer when it comes to building my stereo system. The measurements that matter to me are those that interact with the other components in my system. Eg, amplifier power output at 8,4,2, and 1 ohms, damping factor, and input impedance. And so on for other components in my system. But measurements will not give me a complete picture of how good or not good is the sound of the overall system- ie the system synergy or how well my speakers, amp, preamp, etc play together.

The measurements that I am interested in taking for myself have to do with room interactions, noise, and vibrations. I must also include speaker position. I can actually position my speakers by listening, but it is easier, quicker and less work to use a tape measure and laser. These are all things I have direct control over. (Is that bad to finish with a preposition?)

Reviewer's measurements serve a purpose- to keep check on the claims of manufacturers. But even reviewers must have three things to be taken seriously and have credibility- 1) traceability of their equipment back to a Standard, 2) metrology methodologies that are accepted practice within the industry, 3) integrity- consistency in measurements and publishing accurate, verifiable information.

My observation working in engineering: No one believes the test data except the person who took it. Everyone believes the calculations except for the person who did them. (I'm referring to management. And don't tell me you never had a manager tell you to do the test over because that person did not like the results.)

As an end user (audio hobbyist) I think of myself as an applications engineer when it comes to building my stereo system. The measurements that matter to me are those that interact with the other components in my system. Eg, amplifier power output at 8,4,2, and 1 ohms, damping factor, and input impedance. And so on for other components in my system. But measurements will not give me a complete picture of how good or not good is the sound of the overall system- ie the system synergy or how well my speakers, amp, preamp, etc play together.

The measurements that I am interested in taking for myself have to do with room interactions, noise, and vibrations. I must also include speaker position. I can actually position my speakers by listening, but it is easier, quicker and less work to use a tape measure and laser. These are all things I have direct control over. (Is that bad to finish with a preposition?)

Reviewer's measurements serve a purpose- to keep check on the claims of manufacturers. But even reviewers must have three things to be taken seriously and have credibility- 1) traceability of their equipment back to a Standard, 2) metrology methodologies that are accepted practice within the industry, 3) integrity- consistency in measurements and publishing accurate, verifiable information.

My observation working in engineering: No one believes the test data except the person who took it. Everyone believes the calculations except for the person who did them. (I'm referring to management. And don't tell me you never had a manager tell you to do the test over because that person did not like the results.)

Well said, Tony.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu