Ana Mighty Sound Re-tipping Service : An Incredible Story

ledoux1238

Jan 4, 2021
Taipei
I bought a used Transfiguration Proteus at the beginning of 2023. It was installed and played for at least two months. The Proteus had a sound signature that was similar to the ZYX and AUdio Tekne MC's that I was playing with. It was very nice.

In May 2023, I sent it to Francois Saint-Gerand of Ana Mighty Sound for a diamond cantilever replacement. This was after much research with plenty of positive reviews and a couple of queries to Francios. Between May and December there were many emails from me to Francois, with maybe two responses indicating that the cartridge was been diagnosed. Beginning of 2024, Francois sent photographs of the cartridge. He told me it was in bad shape. He may need to sourced a donor Proteus. I was quite concerned as the photographs did not resemble the cartridge I sent hiim. My concerns were never addressed by Francois. Then in May 2024, A full year after I sent in the Proteus, he wrote that the diamond cantilever was done, and he would follow with an invoice. It was silence again until July. He replied to my previous email expressing surprise that his assistant had not contacted me with the invoice. Then in September came the daggar. He wrote that the work was finally completed but that a boron, not a diamond, cantilever was installed. By this time, I was quite accustomed to his BS. But the email from last week really prompted this post. He wrote that the boron cantilever install was indeed a mistake by his team. But he is not longer working with his re-tipper team. He included the email of Laszlo Vencel Szabo, and this person will take over.

I am now without a Proteus. To be clear, no money has changed hands. All the while it had been Francois fabricating problems then seemingly solving them,

I hate that this is my first post on this esteemed forum, butt how does one deal with this? What recourse do I have?

If a new boron cantilever has been installed on your Transfiguration Proteus, it would be OEM specification Ogura with PA line contact tip - I believe that Ogura supply new cantilevers to repairers with PA tips already attached. There have clearly been some misunderstandings with Francois, but a Proteus re-built to original spec should still be a wonderful thing; and in my experience Laszlo Vencel Szabo is a very reliable craftsman, and I have no concerns regarding his work on a number of my cartridges. I have always found Francois to be helpful and reliable too.

Out of interest, what were you looking to achieve by replacing the original Ogura sourced boron cantilever with a diamond alternative, presumably from a maker such as Namiki and fitted with a different tip compared with the OEM Ogura PA?

@Shuggie I was looking for higher resolution with the diamond cantilever.

If as you say, you've had good experiences with Francois and Lazlo, then there is maybe only one explanation for my situation. I have been caught in between a messy process of falling out between Francois and Laszlo's teams. None of them wants to deal with me or answer my email.

I do apologize for all this situation. Business situations do fail and in our case : we have decided to stop working with Laszlo and Vencel.

There was indeed a mis-comuniction in between us and it lead to having your cartridge repaired to identical with a boron cantilever and original tip.

I have forwarded you the contact from the Hungarian team so you can eventually turn it into a diamond cantilever version.

I can also send you back the cartridge has it is and fully repaired. I will not charge you for that.

The relationship between AMS and Laszlo + Vencel was much more than a business but also a strong friendship. Complicated and sad situation alas.

@Cala Please return the cartridge. I sent a PM with the shipping address. I’ll follow with an email with the same information.

Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu