Anybody else do their own lutherie?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I had my right shoulder replaced in November and the left is scheduled in less than two weeks. The arthritis has forced me to quit playing the guitar and I’d sold my acoustics some years ago as a consequence (including two pre war L5s, a Clarence White D28 Brazilian, a modern blonde L5 CES with P90s, a D-45, and too many others to mention.

Replacement of the right shoulder eased things up a bit. And so to get back up to playing speed, I found a 1994 Taylor 810 the other day. No one wants these, so they’re very negotiable. I got it for a song. it is in great physical condition (few dings, no cracks, straight neck, correct neck angle, original tuning machines, frets are level - no high or low).

I set it up with fresh D’Addario EJ16s tonight … I went with a virtually flat neck adjustment, and I filed the saddle to OEM specs. It was about 1/8” taller than factory, so it was probably a new one that was installed by an amateur. The first three frets need dressing due to B string wear, but I rarely play at that end of the neck, and it’s not buzzing. I may dress them, but I haven’t yet. The nut is good.

It plays quite easily now, although I prefer the short scale with my bad left shoulder for the moment.

There are always guitar players on audio forums. Are there any others here with a Lutherie background? I’ve been doing repairs and setups for over 30 years. I find it relaxing and fulfilling… especially when I can bring a guitar up a few notches.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
FWIW, guitar setup is related to turntable set up in that it is specialized knowledge, requiring specialized tools, patience, and a steady hand.

My interest in the latter emboldened me to learn about the former in the early ‘90s after spending an evening with a sessions player who could play as fast as Joe Pass. How’d a human hand move faster than ear or eye? Practice and a good setup were the answers.

Nevertheless, it’s another case where a shop like Joe Glaser’s has the edge … well, actually they have a Plek machine. I can’t match that. Just like I bow to Tom O’Keefe on LP12 setups.

Reactions: dbeau

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Troubleshooting a second Taylor tonight … this one with the ES2 system. The 810 is pure acoustic.

This one is a very pretty 2019 612CE. Again, Taylors do not seem to hold value … another steal. I wonder if the Lemon Grove built guitars will ever take off.

In any event, I tried it with two amps and both were silent. I wondered if my Klotz cable (very pricey) was bad. I swapped it for a cheap 15+ year old Music City Silent plug cable and got instant gratification. So …

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
The Klotz appears to be shorted. I have continuity between plus and common even when the spring is compressed in the jack. Sigh … well, it is fairly old.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing