Anyone using a Gray 108?

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
He was a mentor to many, and his rather esoteric approach to retail - displaying and selling amps like they were fine art (which they are!) - went a long way towards creating the low-powered SET movement. Fi was home to Komuro-san, JC Morrison (now designing for Silbatone), Herb Reichert, i think Dave Slagle was there too…and many others.

I sure was lucky!

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Tagging on to this thread, I just received a 14"Japanese Clone Gray's arm that will be put to use with a Zero on the RCA 75A I'm about to restore for my mono records and am wondering about what viscosity oil to start with....Silicone is readily available and it's easy enough to mix up a concoction with viscosity numbers that cannot be bought off the shelf yet I am having a hard time finding a lot of info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Solypsa

je2a3

Apr 25, 2020
north of philly
jelabs.blogspot.com
Tagging on to this thread, I just received a 14"Japanese Clone Gray's arm that will be put to use with a Zero on the RCA 75A I'm about to restore for my mono records and am wondering about what viscosity oil to start with....Silicone is readily available and it's easy enough to mix up a concoction with viscosity numbers that cannot be bought off the shelf yet I am having a hard time finding a lot of info.
I've been using 600,000 cst ever since I started using viscous damped tonearms because that's what gives me a couple of secs. drop. IME, anything lower doesn't give a delayed drop no matter how I adjust it.

Here's a video of my Velvet Touch from over a decade ago.

je2a3

Apr 25, 2020
north of philly
jelabs.blogspot.com
meet JC @ETF every year and he´s a kind person and an endless well of knowledge, and not afraid to experiment.....
I met jc morrison at Fi in SoHo in the early 90s. He's an audio design wizard! I attended ny noise 1999 and 2000 which he used to host at his Hoboken loft. I learned many things there.

Jackson and Slagle have invited me a couple of times to attend ETF. Hopefully one of these days I'll make it.

I have to qualify that my audio DIY is elementary compared to these guys.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I met jc morrison at Fi in SoHo in the early 90s. He's an audio design wizard! I attended ny noise 1999 and 2000 which he used to host at his Hoboken loft. I learned many things there.

Jackson and Slagle have invited me a couple of times to attend ETF. Hopefully one of these days I'll make it.

My speakers are JC Morrison Pipe Dreams, driven by a Don Garber/Nori Komuro amp. I think I’m permanently damaged from all the solder fumes i breathed in at that awesome place.

Reactions: No Regrets
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

I met Jackson in Belleme in -19....Dave comes every year......

Reactions: je2a3

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
I met Jackson in Belleme in -19....Dave comes every year......
I’m thinking we should start a thread based around all the characters and equipment that coalesced around 30 Watts Street at fi. Not a few of us hold that period as very special, and undeniably it was a major force in the resurgence of flea powered SETs and high-efficiency speakers (not to mention idlers, 3012s, TD 124s, Gray arms, etc). I miss Don. He was a good friend and a great guy.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Good idea! I’ll try to snap some pics tonight or tomorrow…

it’s so simple, and quite modest. But it does make my wife and i happy. For years it was the “2nd system” when i had Nagra VPAs and PL-P driving Sonus faber Amati Homage (the originals) with a Teres 340 front end. I’d be lying like a rug if i said i don’t miss that system, which could define “majesty” with ease, but for some simple bits n bobs by some passionate hobbiests, my #1 and only system comes >thisclose< to matching a lot of the Nagra offer, and maybe surpasses in some areas.

the hardest bit to photograph will be the overall: New York City apartments don’t usually have a dedicated listening room, so the basic arrangement of speakers in-room couldn’t be worse. But we all know who owns the living space: we make due as we can.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing