Artisan Fidelity joins as a sponsor!: and little bit of our history.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com

Artisan-Fidelity-Portrait.jpg
A little bit of our history, from CEO Christopher Thornton​

Artisan1.jpg

My father, a retired physician, first introduced me to classical music at a young age through his lifelong dedication to playing the trumpet, then later as a child, I began studying music in elementary school, beginning with a focus on wood string instruments, namely the violin, then as a teenager the piano. When I reached my late teens, I found myself immersed in contemporary music and began my hifi journey with a Pioneer stereo system I saved up for using my earnings from odd summer jobs and a weekly allowance.

By the time I was in my mid twenties, after a formal education studying Microsoft systems network engineering, I found myself naturally drawn back to my music collection and hifi listening once again became the focal point of my spare time. It was at this point that I decided to begin my professional foray into the industry beginning at a Chicagoland high end audio dealer, working under the tutelage of Greg Keller, senior sales manager.

After a number of years working closely with home automation network systems and home theatre design, I decided to take an extended leave of absence from the industry to refocus my energy into a more creative, designer frame of mind. During this transition time, I often yearned to return to my passion of listening to recorded music and made the decision to delve back into my roots by embracing the analog medium, LP records, with a strong desire to better understand their playback instruments through the study and restoration of vintage based record player systems, most notably belt drive, idler drive and direct drive derived designs from Lenco and Thorens of Switzerland, Garrard company of England and Matsushita era Technics of Japan.

During subsequent years leading into what is now decades, my closely knit group of manufacturing partners, consultants and co-engineer colleagues expanded to include a group of talented industry leaders, including Soren Wittrup of CS Electronics, certified electronics technician and open reel to reel tape machine expert, endorsed by the well renowned recording engineer and producer, John Klett.

Artisan0.jpg

Artisan Fidelity is a specialty high end audio retailer, Tidal Audio of Germany brand partner and bespoke manufacturer that recreates analog music through tailored design integrity, and passion. Our manufacturing efforts represent combined talents of skilled master woodworkers, artists, professional painters, certified electronics technicians, skilled mechanical and tribology engineers. Artisan Fidelity was founded in 2008 by Christopher Thornton, an entrepreneur who has spent the past 27 years pursuing higher fidelity sound, eventually taking his own love of music and implementing it into bespoke analog based products of his designs. Analog music enthusiasts worldwide and industry professionals, including Warner Brothers Archival Mastering Studio, continue to cherish their fundamental musicality, accuracy and craftsmanship.

Fundamentally, our product line represents the culmination of a keen understanding of the listener’s need for superior playback fidelity, build quality, finish and a meticulous attention to engineering detail. Artisan Fidelity creates sophisticated, reimagined time tested classic analog designs that employ precision machine engineering, advanced composite material application coupled with traditional old-world assembly and hand finishing techniques.

Artisan4.jpg

Attachments

• Artisan-Fidelity-Portrait.jpg
    Artisan-Fidelity-Portrait.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Artisan6.jpg
    Artisan6.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Artisan5.jpg
    Artisan5.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 27
  • Artisan3.jpg
    Artisan3.jpg
    635.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Artisan2.jpg
    Artisan2.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Chris, you are my man in analog. Great to have you on WBF!!!

Reactions: Christopher T

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
And now I see much more too:) Congratulations on becoming a Tidal brand partner.

Reactions: Christopher T

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Welcome, it's good to have you here. I love and admire your care for details.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Gentleman, many thanks again for the warm welcome! A pleasure to be apart of the WBF sponsor community!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Welcome aboard Christopher.
I'm a huge fan of your work. Your technics sp10iii ngs calls me like a siren
One day....

Reactions: lordcloud

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Christopher!

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr

View attachment 99666
A little bit of our history, from CEO Christopher Thornton​

View attachment 99614

My father, a retired physician, first introduced me to classical music at a young age through his lifelong dedication to playing the trumpet, then later as a child, I began studying music in elementary school, beginning with a focus on wood string instruments, namely the violin, then as a teenager the piano. When I reached my late teens, I found myself immersed in contemporary music and began my hifi journey with a Pioneer stereo system I saved up for using my earnings from odd summer jobs and a weekly allowance.

By the time I was in my mid twenties, after a formal education studying Microsoft systems network engineering, I found myself naturally drawn back to my music collection and hifi listening once again became the focal point of my spare time. It was at this point that I decided to begin my professional foray into the industry beginning at a Chicagoland high end audio dealer, working under the tutelage of Greg Keller, senior sales manager.

After a number of years working closely with home automation network systems and home theatre design, I decided to take an extended leave of absence from the industry to refocus my energy into a more creative, designer frame of mind. During this transition time, I often yearned to return to my passion of listening to recorded music and made the decision to delve back into my roots by embracing the analog medium, LP records, with a strong desire to better understand their playback instruments through the study and restoration of vintage based record player systems, most notably belt drive, idler drive and direct drive derived designs from Lenco and Thorens of Switzerland, Garrard company of England and Matsushita era Technics of Japan.

During subsequent years leading into what is now decades, my closely knit group of manufacturing partners, consultants and co-engineer colleagues expanded to include a group of talented industry leaders, including Soren Wittrup of CS Electronics, certified electronics technician and open reel to reel tape machine expert, endorsed by the well renowned recording engineer and producer, John Klett.

View attachment 99615

Artisan Fidelity is a specialty high end audio retailer, Tidal Audio of Germany brand partner and bespoke manufacturer that recreates analog music through tailored design integrity, and passion. Our manufacturing efforts represent combined talents of skilled master woodworkers, artists, professional painters, certified electronics technicians, skilled mechanical and tribology engineers. Artisan Fidelity was founded in 2008 by Christopher Thornton, an entrepreneur who has spent the past 27 years pursuing higher fidelity sound, eventually taking his own love of music and implementing it into bespoke analog based products of his designs. Analog music enthusiasts worldwide and industry professionals, including Warner Brothers Archival Mastering Studio, continue to cherish their fundamental musicality, accuracy and craftsmanship.

Fundamentally, our product line represents the culmination of a keen understanding of the listener’s need for superior playback fidelity, build quality, finish and a meticulous attention to engineering detail. Artisan Fidelity creates sophisticated, reimagined time tested classic analog designs that employ precision machine engineering, advanced composite material application coupled with traditional old-world assembly and hand finishing techniques.

View attachment 99618
Hi Kris

your turntables are masterpieces. Congratulations for the sense of perfection.
Best

Philippe

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
I'm a huge fan of your work. Your technics sp10iii ngs calls me like a siren
One day....

A sincere thanks for the kind words! Ready when you are!....... :)

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Welcome to WBF, Christopher!

I appreciate the friendly welcome Ron, so pleased to be apart of the WBF community!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
your turntables are masterpieces. Congratulations for the sense of perfection.
Best

Philippe

Philippe, many warm thanks for all of the kind words, I truly appreciate it.

On an unrelated side note, I noticed the Playback Designs MPS-8 listed on your system details, I just had the pleasure of borrowing one for several weeks and was certainly impressed. By chance have you had the opportunity to personally listen to the MPD-8?

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Philippe, many warm thanks for all of the kind words, I truly appreciate it.

On an unrelated side note, I noticed the Playback Designs MPS-8 listed on your system details, I just had the pleasure of borrowing one for several weeks and was certainly impressed. By chance have you had the opportunity to personally listen to the MPD-8?
Hi Christopher

I have not yet listened to MPD8. This DAC was not available in August when I ordered, but I need a CD/SACD player and MPS-8 is really impressive. I add PLAYBACK DESIGNS to my store products mid 2022.
Andreas told me that MPD-8 is better because it uses all the space inside the chassis, so cards are separate and there is a third power supply.
I expect to get the opportunity to listen to it in 2023. Also the biggest musical gap is probably made by using MPT-8 transport and use optical PLINK between transport and DAC for noise isolation. This is 1.7 x the cost in France.
I suggest that you could try HARMONIX TU-1000M under your MPS-8, these feet are far better that the feet of the DAC Player.
I also use PRANAWIRE ARHAT Lightspeed Bocchino power cable from Joe Cohen. This digital playback is then a masterpiece.

Best

Philippe

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpg
    IMG_3140.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 13

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Philippe, I concur, the MPS-8 is a superb digital playback source, especially so considering the consolidated all-in-one design. I enjoyed listening to it while here on loan. One of these days, I'll find an MPD-8 and see what it can do. After studying the layout, it makes sense that the performance should reach beyond its universal brethren.

Unique rack by the way....so Chik!

IMG_8493.jpg

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Philippe, I concur, the MPS-8 is a superb digital playback source, especially so considering the consolidated all-in-one design. I enjoyed listening to it while here on loan. One of these days, I'll find an MPD-8 and see what it can do. After studying the layout, it makes sense that the performance should reach beyond its universal brethren.

Unique rack by the way....so Chik!

View attachment 100009
Christopher,
nice DAC Player ... you will get better performance if you put it directly on the platform with dedicated feet better than the feet from Playback (the manufacturer makes rigid aluminium feet but felt under it is not an optimized solution. Platform are intended to drain vibrations and also to offer a rigid "foundation" for the 1st and 2 mode in priority. I said "foundation" because real grounding need 150 to 250 kg, so platforms are just here to minimize vibrations due to rigidity. Also a component under the DAC player will send magnetism that lessen the performance.
I will make special adapters to put my HARMONIX TU-1000M Million at the exact place where Playback Designs feet are. The feet are centered in the sub chassis, so no flat surface to put TU-1000M.
For sure, MPD-8 will be better, more dedicated power supply and separation of L&R printed circuit bords. But try optimized MPS-8 and you will be amazed. An Audio reviewer came here 3 weeks ago and was opened mouth. Review to come in a French Magazine at the end of December .

KR
Philippe

PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPS-8 DAC Player (2022) with integrated STREAM X2 network player+ PRANAWIRE Arhat Lightspeed Bocchino power cable + HARMONIX TU-1000M tuning feet. SYNERGISTIC Purple fuses (in PLAYBACK DAC)

Attachments

• MPS-8 at Max.jpg
    MPS-8 at Max.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 12

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Philippe, this snapshot was quickly taken when the loaner unit first arrived, during listening evaluation I placed the DAC on a separate thick Maple butcher block slab. About a week later, a set of Critical Mass Systems CS2M were placed underneath. Big improvement over stock feet.

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Philippe, this snapshot was quickly taken when the loaner unit first arrived, during listening evaluation I placed the DAC on a separate thick Maple butcher block slab. About a week later, a set of Critical Mass Systems CS2M were placed underneath. Big improvement over stock feet.
CS2M is not on par with TU-1000M in my experience, but better that PB stock feet. As PB 4 sides upper chassis is very rigid and heavy, you may try one day a more rigid platform than wood. Even think, impedance is low. Devil is in the detail ...
KR

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These are gorgeous turntables!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Just bought an earlier made preowned Garrard 301 statement . Had some questions . Emailed Chris . The responses were detailed & advice rendered freely & swiftly . That is superb customer service

Attachments

• D91112F4-FD76-4663-A8F4-E5C17FC862B6.jpeg
    D91112F4-FD76-4663-A8F4-E5C17FC862B6.jpeg
    765.4 KB · Views: 19

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The turntable looks gorgeous! Congratulations!

It is wonderful to read yet another report that Chris is terrific!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing