In italy the arm base for AF3 cost
2.000€
Audiogears I know well,they are very serious

Reactions: djsina2

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I’ve complained enough here about the ridiculous USA price for the AF3/AF5 arm bases. This solution from Italy is 1/10th the price! The quality is extremely nice. As you can see, this one base accommodates any distance due to the sliding design. It comes with 3 different sets of stainless steel posts.

http://www.audiogears.it/category.php~idx~~~222~~MICRO+SEIKI+TONEARM+BASES~.html

View attachment 60830 View attachment 60831 View attachment 60832

These things look well made and nice, but did you check if they ring when you tap them? I could not find what is the metal alloy in their web page. Their classic armboards look much more solid.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Depending on the ToneArm I am preferring the original Armbases from Micro Seiki even over the expensive TechDAS Armbases on AF3P.
Just try the "G" gunmetal versions out.
They mostly cost between 300 and 800,- eur
You will find also a lot of Micro Seiki copy tonearm bases or new developments based on the dimensions, like the Italien ones, which where originally done for Micro Seiki turntables.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
These things look well made and nice, but did you check if they ring when you tap them? I could not find what is the metal alloy in their web page. Their classic armboards look much more solid.

There is no ringing. The link above says they’re avional-aluminium, which is called 2017 by the IADS.

“Aluminium Alloy 2017 (2017 A) has high strength with excellent fatigue strength. Alloy 2017 also has very good machining characteristics. It is suitable for welding only by resistance welding. Alloy 2017 (2017 A) is used for various applications from high strength structural components, aircraft, machine construction, military equipment, rivets.”

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If you have a diameter of the arm base post, it is easy to have a fabricator make one for you. I made one arm base resemble to Micro Seiki to use with my as2000 for the SAEC. I paid 300 euro which is high considering made in Bangkok. An aftermarket item. ;)

If the arm base is for SME type mount, I prefer a one piece solid non extendable since SME already have some gap sliding in and out.

Wonder if the arm base of AS2000 can be used with the AF3P.

Tang

Reactions: gian60

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
If you have a diameter of the arm base post, it is easy to have a fabricator make one for you. I made one arm base resemble to Micro Seiki to use with my as2000 for the SAEC. I paid 300 euro which is high considering made in Bangkok. An aftermarket item. ;)

If the arm base is for SME type mount, I prefer a one piece solid non extendable since SME already have some gap sliding in and out.

Tang
I had one made in stainless steel
by a local machine shop, and paid €200. And yes I am cheaper than
you Tang ;)
03BE9607-4ABC-41BA-99D1-2D6895E7082E.jpeg And take terrible pictures.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019
If you have a diameter of the arm base post, it is easy to have a fabricator make one for you.

A couple months ago I did get a quote from a local CNC shop. They would replicate the TechDAS base in the same alloy they use for $130/unit. Not worth the hassle though since it’d be more expensive than these Audiogears once the finish cost was added in.

Minnesotafats

Aug 26, 2020
Hey. Wondering if anyone else is seeking an extra armboard for their Techdas turntables. I am in conversations with a machinist in the US to have one made for me. I want to integrate the SME plate into the armboard to lower the total height and reduce the extra SME piece. Let me know if you have any interest in sourcing an armboard from the US. I don't have an idea on pricing yet.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing