Audiophile overkill do we really need a pumpkin...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Only audiophiles indulge in such nonsense and overkill. You have heard seen and heard this comment on many occaisions.
I thought it might be fun to post some examples that other hobbyist do in fact do just that. Anything from the six foot sub to model planes to hunting with assault rifles,etc.

I recall looking at the news and the announcer said we'll be back with the pumpkin tossing contest. I expected to see some exhasuted worker throwing pumpkins left over form Halloween.

What I saw was an impressive array of projectors including catapults that would make a medeval warrior blush.

What's your favorite example of hobbyist excess?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Does building your entire house around the prime number dimensions of your basement listening room count?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Only audiophiles indulge in such nonsense and overkill. You have heard seen and heard this comment on many occaisions.
I thought it might be fun to post some examples that other hobbyist do in fact do just that. Anything from the six foot sub to model planes to hunting with assault rifles,etc.

I recall looking at the news and the announcer said we'll be back with the pumpkin tossing contest. I expected to see some exhasuted worker throwing pumpkins left over form Halloween.

What I saw was an impressive array of projectors including catapults that would make a medeval warrior blush.

What's your favorite example of hobbyist excess?

Jeez...pick your obsession, there are so many of them, but I think the ones that parallel the audiophile obsession best are watches and vintage cars.

By the way, I saw that punkin chunkin thing, and I thought those machines were extremely cool. I don't know what that means psychologically.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Car tuning has got to be way up there, much worse than audio (although often times there is an audio component). Imagine modding a car and spending more than 10 times the price of the base car. You'd have to cover your loudspeakers with gold leaf to get close.

Pimp my ride baby!

I think it was inspired by this

My audiophile obsession dictates I get a Sony Rolly

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
BASS BOATS

Typically with sparkle paint, a live well, powerful engine, second crawler engine and sophisticated sonar fish finders. What happened to standing on the bank with a bamboo pool and some earth worms? Some of the bass tournaments have total prize money of a million dollars.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Is that a foldable child seat back there? ;) ;) ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Is that a foldable child seat back there? ;) ;) ;)

I know your question is cheeky. That's where the fisherman sits when he is fishing.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahaha! Yes I was just kidding Reg. The angle of that picture emphasizing the size of the outboard vis-a-vis the fisherman's chair made for some classic Manga style comedy.

That boat looks totally bad@ss. I mean who wouldn't want one? Throw in a life vest with the deal and even someone that can't swim might be tempted!

I'm an avid Golfer. I'm a hair away from becoming single digit again and have been playing the tips of my 7,300 yard home course to get back. Talk about over the top equipment that has 99.99% subjectivity over technology. I play normal off the shelf equipment with a few tweaks and mods here and there done by my fitter. Total cost a bit over $2,000 new for everything including aftermarket shafts. I've seen some $20,000 golf sets out there. Lots of gold where lead or if you are environmentally conscious tungsten inserts would do. Freaky stuff especially with today's gold prices.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BASS BOATS

Typically with sparkle paint, a live well, powerful engine, second crawler engine and sophisticated sonar fish finders. What happened to standing on the bank with a bamboo pool and some earth worms? Some of the bass tournaments have total prize money of a million dollars.

[Read this with Australian accent]
"This is not a boat! This is a boat!"

That kind of lake boat would sink the first minute it is in the waters around Seattle! :D

I own a slightly different model. Built tough to go on the beach, bang into the logs we have floating in the water or anything else you throw at it.

They make cool variations for the military and commercial work like this bow that opens and closes with hydraulics:

They sell a bunch to the military. The boat has 7-8 sealed compartments so unless all of them are shot, the boat still floats even with bullet holes in it!

They can look really mean but as of late, they have toned it down some:

We bought it when we had a house on the islands with a lot of rough waters where you could bury the entire boat into the waves easily. Now we have it at south sound with much calmer waters.

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
BASS BOATS

Locally, one of those lucrative bass competitions was held here. The flotilla of powerful bass boats struck off for the hunting grounds along the slough mazes. One guy got into his aluminum dingy with an old clunker engine. He cut it to glide just off the nearby bank. Casting in..... I don't have to reveal the ending.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Excuse me I'll be right back. Gotta pick up some drywall and insulation form Home Depot.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
WHAT DO YOU MEAN MY ACCOUNT IS OVERDRAWN?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing