Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference 3

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Pretty big claims http://www.berkeleyaudiodesign.com/alpha-dac-reference-series-3/

The Alpha DAC Reference Series 3 uses breakthrough technology to redefine the potential of digital audio quality. Experienced industry listeners who have heard the Alpha DAC Reference Series 3 are unanimous in their praise, saying that the Reference Series 3 clearly outperforms any other DAC they have heard, including those with six figure retail prices, and even the much admired DAC portion of the Pacific Microsonics Model 2 studio ADC/DAC. In addition to its unprecedented PCM audio quality, the Alpha DAC Reference Series 3 also features MQA Rendering of unequaled audio quality.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
what is this, the 3rd "reference" version in 4-5 years?

the original Alpha dac wasn't revised once in 5 years.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's probably more Reference than the others. I really hate that word, and we all use it, regrettably. But I do want to bring this DAC in here for eval. I want to see what they've done in the analog section, more than anything else.

Reactions: Mdp632

ferenc_k

Apr 9, 2011
Actually there is just not one word to explain, support why this is the best DAC ever built.
It is like the first job of a new, young marketing agency, learning the industry.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Still can't handle DSD files. They try to confuse that by saying a PC works better to handle DSD. LOL :)

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Berkeley Audio decided not to follow the conventional path and not to offer DSD nor USB on their DACs. If you want to use USB you have to buy one of their not inexpensive adaptors or someone else's, and if you want to play DSD you have to convert it to PCM. They have been pretty stubborn on those two points.

There is some confusion in the names of the DACs. Berkeley Audio has two series, the expensive Alpha DAC Reference Series of which this is the 3rd model and the much less expensive Alpha DAC series for which there have been two models. Both of them are PCM only with no USB. They also have been much slower than most DAC manufacturers in changing models.

Up to now, at the very high end, people who have compared the Reference Series to the essentially unobtainable Pacific Microsonics Model Two ADAC, generally thought the Model Two sounded better than the Reference Series 1 or 2. Now I have been told that the Reference 3 is better sounding than the Model Two DAC section (from someone who has both). That is the claim in the press release from ack's first post. I haven't done a comparison myself, but probably will get a chance pretty soon.

BTW, many of you know that the now almost 20 year old PM Model Two was designed by Keith Johnson and Pflash Pflaumer. Pflash then becaome a co-founder of Berkeley Audio and has been centrally involved in the design of all the Berkeley Audio DACs. Keith has not been involved in the design of the Berkeley Audio components, focusing his attention primarily to his Reference Recordings work.

Larry

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The local dealer has a Pacific Model 2, and I guess I should also compare. Truth be told, I had a chance to buy one a few years ago for $20K and decided to wait until one of its principals - Spectral or Berkeley - were able to surpass it (the original parts are no longer available). I personally do not care for USB for its noise, and Ethernet.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
The local dealer has a Pacific Model 2, and I guess I should also compare. Truth be told, I had a chance to buy one a few years ago for $20K and decided to wait until one of its principals - Spectral or Berkeley - were able to surpass it (the original parts are no longer available). I personally do not care for USB for its noise, and Ethernet.

I wonder how much if any Spectral DNA is in the new Ref 3 DAC. For example, are the output stages new? Those are some bold claims on Berkeley's site but, lacking specifics to what exactly is changed over the previous model.

Btw, for anyone here what exactly is meant by "Closest to the Microphone Feed" in terms of sound? Their products (Berekely) are somehow closest to that of a live recoding?

If so, how do they verify such results?

I guess we can also look forward to Harley's review of the Ref 3 in an upcoming issue of TAS.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,
A contrarian point of view: Berk Ref was the most analytical DAC I have ever heard in my entire life. So analytical it should come with the suicide prevention number. And it was praised by only 2 reviewers as the BEST, BEST, BEST DAC EXTANT, "Worthless to the Audio Fans" Robert Harley and "I plugged a bunch of things together and it makes noises" Computer Audiophile Geek who have severely analytical tastes. No other reviewer even touched that DAC.

I truly wonder if the designers have any ability to turn it around and make it appeal to a broader market.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Berkeley Audio decided not to follow the conventional path and not to offer DSD nor USB on their DACs. If you want to use USB you have to buy one of their not inexpensive adaptors or someone else's, and if you want to play DSD you have to convert it to PCM. They have been pretty stubborn on those two points.

There is some confusion in the names of the DACs. Berkeley Audio has two series, the expensive Alpha DAC Reference Series of which this is the 3rd model and the much less expensive Alpha DAC series for which there have been two models. Both of them are PCM only with no USB. They also have been much slower than most DAC manufacturers in changing models.

Up to now, at the very high end, people who have compared the Reference Series to the essentially unobtainable Pacific Microsonics Model Two ADAC, generally thought the Model Two sounded better than the Reference Series 1 or 2. Now I have been told that the Reference 3 is better sounding than the Model Two DAC section (from someone who has both). That is the claim in the press release from ack's first post. I haven't done a comparison myself, but probably will get a chance pretty soon.

BTW, many of you know that the now almost 20 year old PM Model Two was designed by Keith Johnson and Pflash Pflaumer. Pflash then becaome a co-founder of Berkeley Audio and has been centrally involved in the design of all the Berkeley Audio DACs. Keith has not been involved in the design of the Berkeley Audio components, focusing his attention primarily to his Reference Recordings work.
Larry,
Maybe you could even compare them to your Lampizator Pacific DAC.
Just for fun and giggles ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Although I appreciate their commitment to AES/EBU in order to keep the machine free from computer/processor/network noise I would love to know why they do not have a clock input or output.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Although I appreciate their commitment to AES/EBU in order to keep the machine free from computer/processor/network noise I would love to know why they do not have a clock input or output.

If an external clock improves the sound, then all it says is that the internal clock was originally not optimally designed and implemented. Plus, they've always favored the clock right next to the digital processor.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I would think that Ack would be interested in how this new REF DAC3 compares to the new Spectral DAC/player.

What new Spectral Dac ? But perhaps this new Ref 3 will be the foundation for the upcoming Spectral dac if hell ever freezes over.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You probably watched a video about the 4000SV player, which people have also casually called a "DAC"

Reactions: PeterA

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think Berkeley is just way behind the sticks vs its competition right now. I wonder if the Ref 3 will get them closer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing