Best budget turntable?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes I'd call them junk. They have horrid speed control, and they don't sound good. We're talking huge companies that had really good engineers vs barely makes money companies.

Reactions: ddk

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
The Rega and Pro-Ject are junk compared to vintage in the same price range?

LOL George, I was thinking the same thing, BS !

I have heard them, and to put it nicely you get what you pay for. That is not junk, that is called value in my opinion.

agreed .......

Reactions: asiufy

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Lenco L75, new v-blocks for tonearm, shure m35x. Circa 200 usd.

Lenco L70 + denon dl 103. Circa 600 usd.

In proper nick and well oiled both will murder any new budget stuff.

Jesper

Reactions: djsina2 and Folsom

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Note: The top image in the article is NOT the Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon, that image lays below (red table).

I found this on another forum on one of the other tables:

GEM-Dandy PolyTable by George Merrill in the house!
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...ytable-by-george-merrill-in-the-house.654650/
The PolyTable is not suspended. It sits solid as a rock. The material, George told me, is the same used to make vinyl records.

Off-hand, are there any other tables made out of vinyl?

I know that acrylic and polycarbonate have been done to death and for good reason.

Regarding the link twitch provided....................

2019 High-End Audio Buyer's Guide: Turntables $1,000 - $2,000

Correct me if I'm wrong, spending 3-7 times what we were originally looking at is actually more bang for the buck as these rigs can surpass Mid-Fi digital whereas the former price range struggled to make that claim.

EDIT:

I love the simple dust cover (2:00 mark) - why didn't I think of that?

Last edited:
Reactions: Long Live Analog
Aug 12, 2019
Hey, thanks all. Need to digest all the comments. Will report back on the outcome. Need to consider my budget - might look ay investing more but going to wait now until I can find a dealer and be able to visit, I think.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I have a Music Hall MMF 9.1. Around here I'd call that a budget TT.

If you just inherited a clutch of vinyl and know nothing about it, buy a Music Hall or Project in the $400 range. There's always the chance you may end up not liking the format.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I had a Thorens TD 160 my pal gave me. I sent it to a guy in New Hampshire (I think) and it came back in terrible condition. I had to level and adjust the suspension, I had to adjust the tone arm lifter because it hit the arm at the end of a record. The cartridge wasn't mounted properly and during shipping one of the wooden mounts broke loose (poorly packed). I got it back into reasonable shape and sold it back to him for $100.

I suppose Thorens makes some good TT's but the TD 160 is a budget level piece of crap. I could probably fabricate a better tone arm in my basement. I bought a Rega P3 and then upgraded to a Music Hall 9.1. I recently replaced the cart with a Denon MC unit.

I see all the great stuff people have here and would love to spend $400k on a system but unfortunately I'm not quite up to that level. I've probably got $75k invested in vinyl and a custom built shelving system for it so I bought a peripheral ring clamp and spindle clamp from Wayne's Audio.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I just sold my old AR ES-1 that was outfitted with an Audio Origami‘d Akito Mk2 tonearm. The table had just about every mod offered by George Merrill and Anthony Scillia, which greatly elevated it beyond the original. While speed accurate “enough”, I still used a speed controller for best performance. It was a sweet, sweet table. Gave me many good years of listening.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
If you’re a DIY type of person, The SOL TT by Schiit has a kit that yields excellent results according to those who bought it. Its comprised of good quality parts, but requires assembly and setup. Choice of cartridges and other options for around $850 I believe.. Some say it’s very good! I don’t have any first hand experience, just relaying some forum hearsay.. Big bang for the buck, as described by many.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing