Best Sounding Class A/AB 3,4 Channel SS Power Amp?

ajant

Jan 14, 2017
I’m hoping to build a 3.3 system for DVD/BD movie sound; also for CDs and high res downloads. The three Rythmik F12 sealed subs are needed as my main speakers won’t do much above 90db SPL below 100Hz. And as my sources are all digital, the multiple subs and DIRAC Live for Windows should provide very smooth bass response, prior to what corrections I can make acoustically.

I have First Watt J2 and F4 amps, though the latter would need to be driven by my Don Sachs 6SN7 preamp. But those hot running Class A amps would be impractical for movie and TV sessions, so I’m looking for a high performance multichannel poweramp. But as my room is only ~ 2850 cu ft, the main speakers are at least 93db SPL/w/m and the center speaker nearly as sensitive, this MCH amp need not exceed much above 50 wpc, especially if a fourth channel can be bridged to drive the center speaker. Of course, wpc like this would be huge overkill.
https://emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/xpa-dr3

Ideally, the amp will be biased to run in a Class A mode at low listening levels, which given >90db speaker sensitivities could often be the case.

And the amp must have balanced inputs as 8 channel DACs like the Okto DAC 8 Pro don’t perform well feeding unbalanced loads. Adjustable input level controls a plus.

Budget ~ $4K.

I’m hoping to build a 3.3 system for DVD/BD movie sound; also for CDs and high res downloads. The three Rythmik F12 sealed subs are needed as my main speakers won’t do much above 90db SPL below 100Hz. And as my sources are all digital, the multiple subs and DIRAC Live for Windows should provide very smooth bass response, prior to what corrections I can make acoustically.

I have First Watt J2 and F4 amps, though the latter would need to be driven by my Don Sachs 6SN7 preamp. But those hot running Class A amps would be impractical for movie and TV sessions, so I’m looking for a high performance multichannel poweramp. But as my room is only ~ 2850 cu ft, the main speakers are at least 93db SPL/w/m and the center speaker nearly as sensitive, this MCH amp need not exceed much above 50 wpc, especially if a fourth channel can be bridged to drive the center speaker. Of course, wpc like this would be huge overkill.
https://emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/xpa-dr3

Ideally, the amp will be biased to run in a Class A mode at low listening levels, which given >90db speaker sensitivities could often be the case.

And the amp must have balanced inputs as 8 channel DACs like the Okto DAC 8 Pro don’t perform well feeding unbalanced loads. Adjustable input level controls a plus.

Budget ~ $4K.

Maybe try a Fosi monoblock for the center channel, and if it sounds OK then get 3?

I would stick with the FW amp myself and just add some center channel.
Is Class-D OK? Or not really for a single center?
You could see if there is an Atmasphere available for a demo, to mate with the FW amps… or some other monoblock for the center…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing