Best speakers I've ever heard under $350,000

Synaxis

Jan 3, 2024
USA
Yes guys, I love the Tobian 12FH's that much.

There are other fantastic speakers for sure - some I could live with happily. And in my dream system I'd have 2-3 speakers of different types to be able to rotate between.

But of all the speakers I've heard in my life up to this point up to $350,000, if I could only have one speaker in the world it would be these Tobain 12FH's (note: I love good horn speakers)

Reactions: findog
With this being a primarily subjective hobby why do people post these videos?

Rob :)

Hi Rob - thanks for reiterating what I stated several times in the video; that there is no such thing as one best speaker, its completely subjective and that this was my personal preference and others would likely prefer other speakers.

Thanks again for helping me make those very important points!

There are other fantastic speakers for sure - some I could live with happily. And in my dream system I'd have 2-3 speakers of different types to be able to rotate between.

But of all the speakers I've heard in my life up to this point up to $350,000, if I could only have one speaker in the world it would be these Tobain 12FH's (note: I love good horn speakers)

not even their Signature version with 12 inch woofer?

Reactions: LampiNA
not even their Signature version with 12 inch woofer?
I prefer this version. Just personal preference.

I've personally found that moving up in companies lines isn't always "better" per se, just different.

My ideal dream world would see me having 2-3 different speakers in my set up that I could rotate between to cover all my bases on sound. I would spend the less money on the 12FH's and then buy my "other" speakers I really love that I'll be doing a review on soon.

Certainly others may feel differently.

From a personal impact standpoint, I'd have to go back to the mid-70s when I first heard the Acoustic Research AR9s. Absolutely knocked my socks off!! I had to have these things didn't think I could afford their $1,250 price. The local dealer wouldn't budge. Fortunately I found someone else who would and bought a pair for $1,100. Easily the best audio investment I've ever made.

From a personal impact standpoint, I'd have to go back to the mid-70s when I first heard the Acoustic Research AR9s. Absolutely knocked my socks off!! I had to have these things didn't think I could afford their $1,250 price. The local dealer wouldn't budge. Fortunately I found someone else who would and bought a pair for $1,100. Easily the best audio investment I've ever made.
That's always a great feeling when you find a piece of gear that you love that much!

Congrats on finding your dream speakers!

Are they a bass reflex design?

I just listened to these speakers today-WOW! I also listened to the new Magico S3 (Mk3), B&W 805d4 Signature, and Clarisys Audio Ribbon Speakers.

These Tobian 12 FH speakers presented music unlike anything else I heard today, or ever. Detail retrieval was astounding, along with airiness, and a very top to bottom cohesive sound. These are very impressive speakers. The OP Synaxis is not exaggerating-I can't stop thinking about them.

With this being a primarily subjective hobby why do people post these videos?

Because they want to sell you gear, that is how these want to be influencers operate ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Hydrology
Because they want to sell you gear, that is how these want to be influencers operate ! :rolleyes:

Let me ask you something. Are you going to purchase anything based on an influencer You Tube video? Any of these how it sounds videos to me are a complete waste of time YMMV. If I haven't had real sit down time listening with someone I have no trust what so ever in what they are describing. At least with real time shared listening you build a shared dialog and an understanding of what the other person is saying and hearing.

So yeah I get the obvious but it goes beyond that. You can't even audition speakers at a dealer and know for sure how they will sound when you get them home.

Based on that alone why would anyone with common sense put any value to these videos and more importantly let the videos influence them on a purchasing decision?

Reactions: Synaxis
Let me ask you something. Are you going to purchase anything based on an influencer You Tube video? Any of these how it sounds videos to me are a complete waste of time YMMV. If I haven't had real sit down time listening with someone I have no trust what so ever in what they are describing. At least with real time shared listening you build a shared dialog and an understanding of what the other person is saying and hearing.

So yeah I get the obvious but it goes beyond that. You can't even audition speakers at a dealer and know for sure how they will sound when you get them home.

Based on that alone why would anyone with common sense put any value to these videos and more importantly let the videos influence them on a purchasing decision?

10000% Agree Rob.

I know I and others repeatedly say what we hear in our room means nothing. It only matters what you hear in your room, on your gear and to your own ears.

Thankfully I am proud to not be an "influencer" and instead just sharing my personal audio journey.

Please help keep reminding people to not buy based on what strangers on a forum say or what a video or review says, or even measurements say and instead to ALWAYS decide based on their own ears.

Reactions: Holli82
I just listened to these speakers today-WOW! I also listened to the new Magico S3 (Mk3), B&W 805d4 Signature, and Clarisys Audio Ribbon Speakers.

These Tobian 12 FH speakers presented music unlike anything else I heard today, or ever. Detail retrieval was astounding, along with airiness, and a very top to bottom cohesive sound. These are very impressive speakers. The OP Synaxis is not exaggerating-I can't stop thinking about them.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the speakers!

I'm glad you like them so much.

They are great speakers for sure.

I prefer this version. Just personal preference.

My ideal dream world would see me having 2-3 different speakers in my set up that I could rotate between to cover all my bases on sound.
Funny enough that is exactly what I'm thinking - perfect scenario would be to have two/three sets of different speaker concepts with matching electronics (I don't believe in one electronics (amp particularly) solution fits all the bills) and I could live happily ever after.
I personally prefer SE version more, but this drills down to preferences we have.
Other speaker I would love to have is the one you have at home now (I'm refereeing to type/brand) :D

Reactions: LampiNA and Synaxis

Your first comment in the video is spot on: if you can sit for hours and enjoy music, even fall asleep (!) while doing so, then you know you've found a keeper.

It's hard to explain what attracts us to a given speaker, and there is no one shoe that will fit all. I'm happy with a pair of 400€ speakers (after changing the crossover) and that sounds really silly, but I would not trade them for some much more expensive speakers even if you gave them to me for free!

Glad you have found something you like. If some people watch your video then decide to give those speakers a listen and end up liking them as much as you, then you'll have made someone happy, and that's all that matters.

• Love
Reactions: Synaxis
Your first comment in the video is spot on: if you can sit for hours and enjoy music, even fall asleep (!) while doing so, then you know you've found a keeper.

It's hard to explain what attracts us to a given speaker, and there is no one shoe that will fit all. I'm happy with a pair of 400€ speakers (after changing the crossover) and that sounds really silly, but I would not trade them for some much more expensive speakers even if you gave them to me for free!

Glad you have found something you like. If some people watch your video then decide to give those speakers a listen and end up liking them as much as you, then you'll have made someone happy, and that's all that matters.
Thank you for the kind words.

I agree that people finding what THEY love is the most important thing - not what a video or a forum says is cool to own.

Reactions: hopkins
Funny enough that is exactly what I'm thinking - perfect scenario would be to have two/three sets of different speaker concepts with matching electronics (I don't believe in one electronics (amp particularly) solution fits all the bills) and I could live happily ever after.
I personally prefer SE version more, but this drills down to preferences we have.
Other speaker I would love to have is the one you have at home now (I'm refereeing to type/brand) :D
This would be an unbeatable combination in my personal opinion.

Reactions: Golum

Totally agree, why would anyone take these silly videos seriously ? But advertising works in strange ways, just repeating the name of the brand creates recognition. The people with these YouTube channels want to create traffic so they can maybe get something financially out of it one day. Not many of them are actual audiophiles, often just regurgitating stuff they have heard or read elsewhere, just look at the guy filming in his garage/lab :rolleyes:

Reactions: Robh3606
I also have the 12FH's and agree that one can listen for hours. They just have a synergy with my system that makes the music alive and present in the room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum and Synaxis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing