Blown Resistors

oggy17

Nov 4, 2018
I keep blowing resistors in 1 channel on my WP 8's, the local dealer claims its the amp, amp dealer says speakers, but I assume the amp must be the cause as its the one driving the voltage/current to the speakers

Anyway, I want to change myself this time, to learn how to do it, but can't find anything related to even locating where they are (assume they are inside the Watt on the top, but removed the small board, can't get it off), so any instructions on this ?

Thanks for the help

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
What kind of AMP and what brand may help, Blowing a resistor is not a speaker issue. Its being fed something to cause this . Wilson is one of the few who use resistors as tuning and protective psudo fuse .. 98% ofEvery tweeter in every speaker has a resistor on it to pad it to match the mid.. They are on the x over board. These are probably pre Capacitor and do dual purpose duty

oggy17

Nov 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply. It was the pre-amp, confirmed, was leaking after I did some tests. I need to change the resistor, took off the x board, and removed the 1.6ohm resistor for the mid range (what is not working, its not blown as its paper still all intact) and reads over 16ohms, so guess that confirms it,

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
A leaking preamp? Leaking what?

It takes quite a bit of juice to blow the resistors in my WP7. Do you listen really loud?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Leaking DC? That could definitely take a resistor out.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
I keep blowing resistors in 1 channel on my WP 8's, the local dealer claims its the amp, amp dealer says speakers, but I assume the amp must be the cause as its the one driving the voltage/current to the speakers

Anyway, I want to change myself this time, to learn how to do it, but can't find anything related to even locating where they are (assume they are inside the Watt on the top, but removed the small board, can't get it off), so any instructions on this ?

Thanks for the help

Please give Jerron Marchant at the Wilson factory a call at (801) 377-2233. He will walk you through it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing