Brinkmann RoNt users - BZ34?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Has anyone had experience with replacing their GZ34 rectifier with this solid state equivalent that comes standard in the RoNt III?
A little more drive? Tighter bottom end?
It is apparently a drop in replacement for any RoNt PS. Cost is about $1000 CAD for me so looking for others' experience.

What about solid state rectifiers that some use in guitar amps? https://www.tubedepot.com/products/solid-state-rectifier.
There's quite a price delta but I wonder if these are compatible with the RoNt? Any thoughts? Brinkmann NA please chime in if you see this!

Attachments

• roent31.jpg
    roent31.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 2

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I did it when I got the RoNt II shipped to Brinkmann for the repair of the main switch last year. I got the Mullard GZ34 replaced by the BZ34 and I had an improvement.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
You'll find all the information you'll ever need to know about Ront PS's here - from p5

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
Yes I remember that thread and wonder if there has been any update in terms of experience with the BZ34. I would be coming from an Mullard GZ34 as well. The metal based GZ34 I had been using earlier started to inject some hum into the system. At the time of the thread, I did not know that the SS rectifier could be purchased independently and that it would be a bit pricey (by my standards) at $1000 CAD. There is also the question of other SS GZ34 substitutes as used in the guitar amp world. Member Kcin said he had some on hand. I wonder if he or anyone else has had the
courage to insert these into their RoNts?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Yes I remember that thread and wonder if there has been any update in terms of experience with the BZ34. I would be coming from an Mullard GZ34 as well. The metal based GZ34 I had been using earlier started to inject some hum into the system. At the time of the thread, I did not know that the SS rectifier could be purchased independently and that it would be a bit pricey (by my standards) at $1000 CAD. There is also the question of other SS GZ34 substitutes as used in the guitar amp world. Member Kcin said he had some on hand. I wonder if he or anyone else has had the
courage to insert these into their RoNts?
I've Mullards also, speaking to Savvas, the impression I got is BZ34 would likely change the sound, it might suit system and taste, it might not. Certainly be interested to hear your thoughts should you decide to experiment

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing