budget dac recommendations for small amp/speaker setup

bobcornelis

Sep 8, 2022
I'm thinking of setting up a system in a small art studio (11x14'). Space is VERY tight, surface area at a premium, I either need extremely small speakers to put on shelves against the wall or even wallmount them. I realize I won't get superior sound quality here but am willing to spend some money getting something that sounds better than a single bluetooth speaker! I'll be streaming hi res music from (currently) Qobuz, hopefully from an iPad so I don't need to spend extra $$$ for a dedicated streamer.

I'm currently eyeing either Jamo S803 or Moukey M20-1 speakers and the Aiyima DO3 amp, these pairings total ~$250-$300. What I need now is a decent DAC to sit between the iPad and the amp. I'm a little confused about DACs as many of the products out there seem to only be suited for running headphones, not small amps. Any suggestions for what might fit in to the system I've described? I'm hoping to spend around $100 for the DAC - it doesn't need to do more than create a good quality analog input to the amp, better than what my iPad Air 4th generation offers.

Also open to any suggestions about the other products listed as well as whether the whole idea is silly given how I have to place the speakers!

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I'm thinking of setting up a system in a small art studio (11x14'). Space is VERY tight, surface area at a premium, I either need extremely small speakers to put on shelves against the wall or even wallmount them. I realize I won't get superior sound quality here but am willing to spend some money getting something that sounds better than a single bluetooth speaker! I'll be streaming hi res music from (currently) Qobuz, hopefully from an iPad so I don't need to spend extra $$$ for a dedicated streamer.

I'm currently eyeing either Jamo S803 or Moukey M20-1 speakers and the Aiyima DO3 amp, these pairings total ~$250-$300. What I need now is a decent DAC to sit between the iPad and the amp. I'm a little confused about DACs as many of the products out there seem to only be suited for running headphones, not small amps. Any suggestions for what might fit in to the system I've described? I'm hoping to spend around $100 for the DAC - it doesn't need to do more than create a good quality analog input to the amp, better than what my iPad Air 4th generation offers.

Also open to any suggestions about the other products listed as well as whether the whole idea is silly given how I have to place the speakers!
I would recommend you our Zen DAC Air. You can connect it to iPad via USB and play everything you want to. Please take note, that the Zen DAC Air will be powered by the iPad, which will put extra strain on the battery. A simple 5V power supply with a barrel jack cable will allow you to power up the Zen DAC Air independently.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing