Calling all DarTZeel owners - RCA or XLR inputs for your sources?

buzzlulu

Jan 31, 2022
Curious to know how DarTZeel owners are connecting DAC/Streamers to their preamps - via RCA or XLR?

My digital source is a dCS Rossini APEX + Clock. dCS provides both RCA and XLR outputs on all their units however they are on record officially stating XLR output is superior.

Hervé’ has designed the NHB-18NS to be single ended however the XLR input on my Model 2 is significantly upgraded - just about the equivalent to RCA as per my received emails from him.

As I have frequently said to several of my DarTZeel/dCS friends - it depends which religion one chooses to follow - the balanced XLR version from dCS or the single ended one from Herve.

When I was using the totl Chord MUSIC XLR and RCA cables I had a preference for RCA. I now have Silver Siltech RCA and XLR cables under test and I am back and forth - sometimes going towards XLR. The interesting thing is the 380 XLR I am testing is one level below the 680 RCA I have in for test - yet it remains highly competitive.

In the Absolute Sound review of the Vivaldi APEX Jacob Heilbrunn actually used a 50 ohm ZEEL cable from Herve with a RCA adapter on the Vivaldi end. The output impedance of the Vivaldi (and Rossini) at the RCA connectors is just about 50 ohms.

PS - as we know there are really no digital sources with BNC outputs other than the Playback Design.

Last edited:
RCA for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing