Decisions, decisions............please help

eso

Apr 2, 2019
Hi all. Newby poster but long time lurker here. Please be gentle. I've been presented with the opportunity to buy a complete CH front end. I only had limited time to listen to it unfortunately. Being mindful of room, speaker and setup issues, I did find it detailed but slightly on the "cooler" side. I won't be able to audition in my room unfortunately. My slight concern would be moving it on if it doesn't suit my taste. It's not an insignificant sum of money just to experiment:p.
There doesn't seem to be much second hand stuff around to help with this decision. I did see a sale post by one of the members here. I was surprised how discounted the price was. Bearing this in mind, is about 60% off retail the money I should be looking at paying for the gear?
Apology if these questions aren't appropriate for this area.
Thanks
Rob

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
I found the CH DAC very good. In my book ch is not on the bad 'cool' side of things. I find it perfectly balanced.
Altough sometimes tubes can eclipse the sound and sometimes I lust after the SS "punch"..

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The CH transport/dac has is very good. It has a typical Swisse high end sound, though I would say not as warm/sweet as Dartzeel. It sounds silky smooth, open, resolving, 'sophisticated' and works like a Swisse watch. That combo is also infinitely upgradeable, with the X1 psu and option boards. It can be a slippery slope if you let it!

I've heard dacs with sound more harmonically rich, natural and dimensional, but If you can snap up that gear in mint/ex-demo condition for 50% off or more, I'd say go for it, as even if you later decided to move them on, you should break even, or take only a very small haircut.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi all. Newby poster but long time lurker here. Please be gentle. I've been presented with the opportunity to buy a complete CH front end. I only had limited time to listen to it unfortunately. Being mindful of room, speaker and setup issues, I did find it detailed but slightly on the "cooler" side. I won't be able to audition in my room unfortunately. My slight concern would be moving it on if it doesn't suit my taste. It's not an insignificant sum of money just to experiment:p.
There doesn't seem to be much second hand stuff around to help with this decision. I did see a sale post by one of the members here. I was surprised how discounted the price was. Bearing this in mind, is about 60% off retail the money I should be looking at paying for the gear?
Apology if these questions aren't appropriate for this area.
Thanks
Rob
Hello Rob,
I guess you mean a D1+C1 combo?
Don't miss this great discount of 60% off!

Go get it asap.
I have several CH C1 frds in HK and I have listened to it many times.
Shall share with you tricks to further optimize its performance.
;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing