Differences between NAS and dedicated music servers such as Melco and Innuos

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
In my setup, I have placed a SOtM switch before the Melco Server.

The Melco Server is equipped with two ports: one for incoming Ethernet and another designed for connection to the DAC. Effectively, the Melco server operates as a standalone switch.

In addition to the Ethernet connection, there is a USB output from the Melco Server that connects to the MSB PRO ISL. This specific device is responsible for converting the signal into fiber before it enters the MSB Premier DAC.

As can be seen, there is now a need for another switch (between the Melco output to DAC in my topology as the Melco itself acts as a switch.
Hi thank you for your explanation, and Melco is essentially acting like a switch makes perfect sense. My dilemma is this - I do not stream music via internet at all; the WiFi router Melco is connected to (plus CH P1 phono) is NOT connected to the internet at all, so the router is more like a (cheap) switch but should be less noisy than a typical router that's connected to the internet, and the only purpose for my router is to control digital file playback (if I don't use the router to control P1 it's really no big deal). I am still trying to grasp the concept and the advantage of adding a better switch into the system and trying to learn as much as possible...

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Hi thank you for your explanation, and Melco is essentially acting like a switch makes perfect sense. My dilemma is this - I do not stream music via internet at all; the WiFi router Melco is connected to (plus CH P1 phono) is NOT connected to the internet at all, so the router is more like a (cheap) switch but should be less noisy than a typical router that's connected to the internet, and the only purpose for my router is to control digital file playback (if I don't use the router to control P1 it's really no big deal). I am still trying to grasp the concept and the advantage of adding a better switch into the system and trying to learn as much as possible...
A better switch like SOtM and others usually comes with better internal clock and better electric transformer, sometimes better ethernet connectors that suppose to be more isolated.

the best way to experience an audiophile switch is to disconnect it from the network, if the sound experience had degraded then you can easily know the switch is doing what it suppose to do.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing