DMA360 Series 2--SDR4000 SL--DMC30SS Series 2 First Impressions

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Well first off I love my system and would never change. Having said that however, if I were looking to build a great system, this would be it. No eye candy , just simply great music

Well Steve ... I can understand the love ... But I have heard that before .. Meanwhile your system has been changing .... Evolving ..smoothly and getting better .. You have not made lateral changes .. rather improvements in what was already a top-flight system ... from the ARC to the Lamm 18-watter, then to the Lamm Line Stage with the 32-watter, then the Studer, then the Gothams replacing the Wilson sub then the Playback Design in lieu of the Meitner CD/SACD player and DAC ... each improvement came after I read similar words ... :) What's next ? mhhh? :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm still scratching my head and wondering if Steve heard some things he is not hearing with his system. Fess up Steve.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm still scratching my head and wondering if Steve heard some things he is not hearing with his system. Fess up Steve.

Actually not at all. Just a different sound. Many ways to skin a cat Mark

Recall my mantra whenever someone says that what they heard is something better I always ask "was it something better or something different"

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well Steve ... I can understand the love ... But I have heard that before .. Meanwhile your system has been changing .... Evolving ..smoothly and getting better .. You have not made lateral changes .. rather improvements in what was already a top-flight system ... from the ARC to the Lamm 18-watter, then to the Lamm Line Stage with the 32-watter, then the Studer, then the Gothams replacing the Wilson sub then the Playback Design in lieu of the Meitner CD/SACD player and DAC ... each improvement came after I read similar words ... :) What's next ? mhhh? :)

As I have said here many times, at present the only contemplated change (addition actually) is the addition of a custom designed head amp for my Studer A810.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Recall my mantra whenever someone says that what they heard is something better I always ask "was it something better or something different"

As I have heard several times the X2 and the Sasha, I would expect that the difference would be much more than the scale.

However I think you were fascinated by the "coherence" of the whole Spectral system in the Sasha. The word "synergy" (not only in the electrical sense, but with a meaning of matching and complementary sound between system and room components) is one of the reasons for this feeling of good sound.

I own an ARC Anniversary preamplifier and an ARC CD8 cd player. Friends and distributors have brought many players - EMM CDSA, Playback, Metronome Kalista integrated- to listen. All sounded excellent but none could sound really better than the CD8 in my system. Sometimes more detail, more bass, but not more music. The two ARC units seemed to play as an whole making music more enjoyable. As one of the distributors wisely said - "any comparison using that preamplifier is unfair"!

mep

Apr 20, 2010

And like I have said before, once you reach a certainl level of "goodness," it all becomes a variation on a theme after that.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I had to inquire at my local dealer about the 360's potentially being re-issued; they said they are not aware of this although eventually it will probably [naturally] happen, so most likely Music Lovers were only recently able to carry the top line. Given this, I can easily attest to what you guys heard - this gear is just jaw dropping. The local dealer is SUCH high class you won't believe.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
And like I have said before, once you reach a certainl level of "goodness," it all becomes a variation on a theme after that.

Hey, I like that :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I had a short listen to the DMC 30 series 2 a couple of weeks ago. To me, it sounded just like the series 1 but with significantly more dynamics and gain. I liked it enough to order a unit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing