Do puristic designed phonostages have less functions?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This is interesting, Gary. Is your design philosophy that the flexibility of as few as three or four loading options and two gain options is outweighed by the signal path adulteration occasioned by this flexibility?

I had a friend persuade me to put a switch to allow for 2 inputs. Try as I might, I could not find a switch transparent enough at the 0.4mV level to switch inputs.

The story of this design is here:

https://www.vpiindustries.com/singl...--Gary-Koh’s-No-Loading-Genesis-Phono-Section

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is very interesting, Gary. Thank you!

Reactions: garylkoh

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Aesthetix Io has DIP switch loading, and offers variable gain as an option. I have never loved DIP switches on high-end equipment. I may be wrong but they never struck me as a high-quality, high-end solution.

The Aesthetix attenuators, on the other hand, are very high-quality, discrete resistor, rotary controls.

Considering DIP switches, it depends on how much you want to pay. We can get excellent quality ones, with performance on par with rotary controls. They can be surely be an high-end solution, except for looks ... But I agree that the best switch is no switch. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Considering DIP switches, it depends on how much you want to pay. We can get excellent quality ones, with performance on par with rotary controls. They can be surely be an high-end solution, except for looks ... But I agree that the best switch is no switch. :)

That is good. I was not aware they came in different quality levels, as every DIP switch I have ever seen looks the same to me.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Gary your phono looks great. But I like to be able to use MM's as well, which I haven't seen a way around needing adjustments with them.

Reactions: garylkoh

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
That is good. I was not aware they came in different quality levels, as every DIP switch I have ever seen looks the same to me.

That´s the point!. To consumers DIPs all look the same. But there are DIPs for very demanding applications like aviation, measurement, control technology and military applications. Highest demands on mechanics and contact safety.

groovemaster

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary your phono looks great. But I like to be able to use MM's as well, which I haven't seen a way around needing adjustments with them.

Unfortunately, with the minimum signal path, I don't have adjustable gain. I also could not figure out the math to get accurate RIAA de-emphasis at two vastly different gain structures so an MM and a MC unit would have to be different.

I did make one single unit for a customer who wanted one for MM and one for MC, but I didn't think that anyone else would want to pay $12,000 dedicated phonostage for MM.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That´s the point!. To consumers DIPs all look the same. But there are DIPs for very demanding applications like aviation, measurement, control technology and military applications. Highest demands on mechanics and contact safety.

groovemaster

Also different DIPs for everything from DC all the way to gigahertz switching. It's not only DIPs. Even something as simple as a resistor.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The Aesthetix Io has DIP switch loading, and offers variable gain as an option. I have never loved DIP switches on high-end equipment. I may be wrong but they never struck me as a high-quality, high-end solution.

The Aesthetix attenuators, on the other hand, are very high-quality, discrete resistor, rotary controls.

My latest Io Eclipse configuration uses gold plated shunt jumpers not DIP switches for loading - they are now located in the unit - They used to be on the outside back panel-not convenient but I understand why they did it that way to keep it as close as possible to the input source jack.

Reactions: Lagonda

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Proper loading is a requirement. Gain structure is also important (ie how much at the phono, preamp and amp...). How one acheives this (switches, choices, soldiering iron etc.) varies but ignoring will likely yield inferior results.

My phono stage only has 2 switches. One for input and one for Stereo/true mono. On e input has a FET step up and the other is without a step-up. I don't change cartridge models very often and when I do I will get a matching step-up for that cartridge.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Okay, thanks. I'd probably call that a clean or straightforward user interface.

Nowadays the trend in high-end phonostages (and preamps) seems more towards offering many bells and whistles, 'feature-loaded'. Sometimes these are accomplished via software and screens, sometimes packed with knobs and dials.

View attachment 57262

View attachment 57263

then, there's something like this:

View attachment 57264

OMG My three Phonostages! :D

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
One thing I like about the Emia phono is you can spec input impedence of the MM (other than 47k) to match the chosen step up ratio which will then acheive a certain reflected load. Cool :)

Of course this can be done within reason on most preamps with a little diy ;)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My latest Io Eclipse configuration uses gold plated shunt jumpers not DIP switches for loading - they are now located in the unit - They used to be on the outside back panel-not convenient but I understand why they did it that way to keep it as close as possible to the input source jack.

Do you take the case off every time you need to change the jumpers? Or do you just keep the case permanently off?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Do you take the case off every time you need to change the jumpers? Or do you just keep the case permanently off?

When I have a new cartridge I keep it off for a while until I tune the loading.

When I'm satisfied the cover screws back on.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Case permanently off? Did you own a TT on your old stereo, Ron? Case off = blaring hum typically.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I think i have the latest design, put together by Jim White himself a couple of weeks ago. Loading can
be done internally and externally with
jumpers. Personally i question the
design for switching between inputs,
a long run of cable back and forth
to a front panel switch.
I would have placed the switches on the back panel, but i’m sure it is of little consequence sound wise.

Attachments

• 66A9228D-0A3C-40CF-A650-91AC2638AEF7.jpeg
    66A9228D-0A3C-40CF-A650-91AC2638AEF7.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 14

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I think i have the latest design, put together by Jim White himself a couple of weeks ago. Loading can
be done internally and externally with
jumpers. Personally i question the
design for switching between inputs,
a long run of cable back and forth
to a front panel switch.
I would have placed the switches on the back panel, but i’m sure it is of little consequence sound wise.

I have that exact configuration with the internal board . Mine was upgraded about a year ago. The way to do the switching would have been with relays at the back... but hey the physical design is maybe 20 years old now.

It still is a kick _ss phono though.

Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing