Does Dirac Live MCH have Bass Management / Per-Channel Crossover?

Ron Kuper

Feb 21, 2014
Hello,

New to What's Best and DRC :D

I am thinking of adding Dirac Live to my system for DRC.

Apart from DRC I would like something that will handle per-channel crossover as I have recently moved from an all bookshelf 5.1 setup and got floor standing fronts (Quadral M50).
My current receiver does not support a separate crossover for the fronts so I thought that if I'm already going the HTPC DRC route (the HTPC is my source for 90% of the time) I might as well have the HTPC handle the per channel crossover settings instead of buying a new receiver.

Although I listen to stereo most of the time (2.1 ch. with heavy bass :p) I do listen to enough 5.1 materials (Music & Movies) so that the crossover should handle both listening modes and route signal to the sub from all channels (like a normal receiver does).

Can Dirac Live MCH handle this?
Or if not, perhaps you could recommend something that will handle crossover and work with Dirac?

Current setup -
HTPC --HDMI--> Receiver |-- Front ch. Analog pre-outs--> Power Amp --> Fronts
|-- Internal Amp --> Surrounds (Center + Back)
|-- LFE Analog pre-out--> DSPeaker 8033 --> Subwoofer
|-- HDMI Video Out --> TV

I guess that for the HTPC to handle the crossover I would need to move the audio input from HDMI to the receiver's analog m.ch inputs (everything else stay the same) -
HTPC --Analog M.CH outs--> Receiver

Thank you,
Ron

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
My current receiver does not support a separate crossover for the fronts so I thought that if I'm already going the HTPC DRC route (the HTPC is my source for 90% of the time) I might as well have the HTPC handle the per channel crossover settings instead of buying a new receiver.
Most AVRs and prepros will do what you want so I suspect yours is old and/or quite inexpensive.

Can Dirac Live MCH handle this?
Nope. It does no channel rerouting for bass management.

Or if not, perhaps you could recommend something that will handle crossover and work with Dirac?
jRiver.

I guess that for the HTPC to handle the crossover I would need to move the audio input from HDMI to the receiver's analog m.ch inputs (everything else stay the same) -
HTPC --Analog M.CH outs--> Receiver
Not necessarily. Why not HDMI?

Ron Kuper

Feb 21, 2014
Hi Kal,

Thank you for responding!

Most AVRs and prepros will do what you want so I suspect yours is old and/or quite inexpensive.
Both :)

Yes, JRiver! Funny I've just finished reading this wonderful blog post by Nyal from AF which laid it out very clearly.

I thought that jRiver might have something (wasn't guessing it was so powerful though!) but the reason I didn't looked into it is that I was thinking of something that is not tied to a specific player application, like the way Dirac works.

Is there something that works at the system level?
(Seriously considering JRiver now after seeing its capabilities)

Not necessarily. Why not HDMI?
Well, re-thinking it there is indeed no reason not to use HDMI if I use jRiver or some other software based solution.

Thanks again,
Ron

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Is there something that works at the system level?
(Seriously considering JRiver now after seeing its capabilities)
JRiver also has its own ASIO driver that lets you select it for output in other programs. This way you can route output through JRiver's DSP. Some people use their DAW software this way.

A lot of software only uses Window's default audio device. You can use the WASAPI loopback in JRiver to intercept that audio and route it all through JRiver.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
JRiver also has its own ASIO driver that lets you select it for output in other programs. This way you can route output through JRiver's DSP. Some people use their DAW software this way.

A lot of software only uses Window's default audio device. You can use the WASAPI loopback in JRiver to intercept that audio and route it all through JRiver.

Do you know if I can route 5.1 inputs on my lyynx card through Jriver DSP (and then use Dirac). I have a modded Oppo with 4 x S/PDIF digital out that I would like to route through my server (to use Dirac) instead of straight into my DACs. Can this be done?

mojave

Oct 29, 2010
Elkhorn, NE
Do you know if I can route 5.1 inputs on my lyynx card through Jriver DSP (and then use Dirac). I have a modded Oppo with 4 x S/PDIF digital out that I would like to route through my server (to use Dirac) instead of straight into my DACs. Can this be done?
Will you convert the S/PDIF to AES?
In JRiver you can use File > Open Live > ASIO Line-In. I've never used or tried it, but I think Bob Katz uses it to route SACD through his Lynx card and JRiver for convolution in his mixing studio. You would use a zone in JRiver that has Dirac as the audio output.

What benefit is this vs just using the computer as the source? You get the Blu-ray menu on the Oppo, but I can't think of any other benefit.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Will you convert the S/PDIF to AES?
In JRiver you can use File > Open Live > ASIO Line-In. I've never used or tried it, but I think Bob Katz uses it to route SACD through his Lynx card and JRiver for convolution in his mixing studio. You would use a zone in JRiver that has Dirac as the audio output.

What benefit is this vs just using the computer as the source? You get the Blu-ray menu on the Oppo, but I can't think of any other benefit.

Yes, I would convert S/PDIF to AES/EBU passively. Just a cable - works like a charm. Two benefits: while I'm ripping my concert videos, for regular (Netflix) movies I spin discs. Playing them in the Oppo is just less cluncky than playing them in the BR drive of the server and using JRiver for control. I have access to the menus with remote control. Also, video quality is better for the Oppo.

2nd, I am running my Satellite receiver through the Oppo. I can of course run the Oppo S/PDIF into the S/PDIF inputs on my DACs, but running the audio through the server, will give me access to Dirac live running on the server.

So while this is not hugely important, I'd prefer to run the Oppo through the server. Of course, chances are I run into issues and throw in the towel, but I'll give the ASIO in a try. Thanks.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing