Doge 7 tube dac

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Anyone try this dac? I know its a bit on the cheaper side and the members here tend to have more expensive gear but I am curious about it.

P2C4S

Nov 8, 2022
United States
Yes, I have one, purchased in April of 2023 direct from the factory with the upgraded tubes. Love it. Surprisingly, remarkably, good, even excellent. What more can I tell you?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Yes, I have one, purchased in April of 2023 direct from the factory with the upgraded tubes. Love it. Surprisingly, remarkably, good, even excellent. What more can I tell you?

Have you compared it to any other dacs?

P2C4S

Nov 8, 2022
United States
@tobiasrankin: I'm fundamentally a vinyl guy (Oracle premier, SME 3009, Ortofon) so have not pursued much in digital streaming until recent years. I've used several DACS. Probably the most relevant comparison is with a Berkeley Audio Alpha DAC, series 2, which I've owned for some time. As you may be aware, that Berkeley is very good for the money, and likely underpriced in the used market for its quality. My system includes VMPS RM-40 speakers with upgraded cabinets and TRT caps, etc., and Yamaha NS-1000 and other speakers used occasionally; Nordist Valhalla or Kimber 12TC cables, usually driven by Bendini 100/100DE class A amplification. To my ears in my modest systems, the Doge 7 (with the upgraded factory tubes) has more timber and meat in the midrange, and maybe slightly more dynamic jump than the Berkely, and more solid midbase. Both are equally clear. I could probably live with either the Alpha 2, or the Doge 7, but think the Doge has a preferable edge. It seems a bargain to me even at its full retail price. (I have no connection with either Berkeley nor Doge.)

I've attended Consumer Electronics Shows and T.H.E. shows more than a dozen times, though not since COVID. In such settings I've heard a lot of DACs and some fine systems (some poor ones too!). I don't know of a DAC with more bang for the buck than these two DACS at their price points. I'd like to hear the Alpha Series 3 in my system, but doubt it would be much of an improvement; it's currently outside my budget at full retail. Hope that helps. If you're ever in Draper, UT, you're welcome to have a listen to my system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing