DSP, analogue or IC volume control for 2.1 system?

jimbobcardiff

Aug 11, 2024
Cardiff, Wales
Hi all, I'm looking to build a 2.1 system using a Dayton Audio DSP kernel with three channels of amplification (Icepower most likely). My question is how to best control the volume. The DSP system allows a pot to be used as a volume control, however my understanding is that this occurs in digital and is effectively removing bit depth, hence low volume listening will be at reduced audio quality as the audio will be produced with more pronounced digital 'steps' and any noise will be fully amplified. I'm very happy with digital (I'll be playing from flac/steaming sources) but want to avoid loss of quality. So I guess my first question is - is this the case? Or does volume alter the gain on the DAC within these digital boards?

Assuming this is so, I need a way to control volume on the 3 channel output from the DSP before it reaches the power amplifiers. I could go with a 3-way potentiometer but I don't like pots generally due to their propensity to get scratchy over time, and would rather opt for a digitally controlled analogue IC volume control, which I can find in stereo form in droves online. So my next question is - are there ways to daisy-chain these such that one potentiometer controls two or more boards? I'm not averse to soldering in a two-way pot to two control boards but I'd rather use an off-the-shelf option if possible for the likely better reliability.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing