Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
The 24/96 on Tidal isn't good, oh well.

Btw Linn records in PCM so this SACD is upsampled PCM.

This 16/44.1track by same artist sounds good tho...

View attachment 124588
Hi, I don't think the SACD that I listened to here is up sampled. According to Linn: "FLAC files are lossless at various high bit rates, for example, 48KHz, 88.2KHz and 96KHz (check each title for actual details). The quality is identical to that of an SACD (Stereo only). The format will be dependent on the actual recording method we used originally. No DSD files are offered as it is not possible to play them back on a PC so an equivalent PCM format is offered. These files offer true "studio quality" and are what was used by Linn to produce the production version of our CD releases."

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi, yes, if I remember correctly, there's some grain that overlaid the entire recording in my previous listening. But all the grain has disappeared since updating my XMOS processor. Instead, the grain has been replaced by very fine micro details!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys, I would recommend this recording to those who listens to classical violin music: Journey Through A Century Sueye Park violin. BID SACD.

Kreisler: Recitativo and Scherzo-Caprice op.6. Penderecki: Capriccio (2008). Prokofiev: Sonata in D for solo violin op.115. Reger: Prelude and Fugue in D minor for solo violin op.117 no.6. Schnittke: A Paganini (1982 version). Strauss: Daphne-Etüde. Weinberg: Sonata no.2 for solo violin op.92. Ysaÿe: Sonata in E for solo violin op.27 no.6. BIS SACD-2492

There is rarely, if ever, a perfect performance/recording. However, to me, this SACD is one! This SACD is the most realistic recording of solo violin pieces. Every nuance, micro detail and color Park draws from her Ferdinando Gagliano violin of 1785 is heard via my sound system and made possible only after I installed the new XMOS firmware. Park's violin is dead center and the Jesus-Christus-Kirche, Berlin, is ideally resonant and dead quiet. Park's virtuosity is obvious and Park's violin has terrific presence.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1707631982602.png

DVO?ÁK Symphony No 8 JANÁ?EK Symphonic Suite From Jen?fa Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra/Manfred Honeck Reference Recordings 710 SACD (A Relisten)

This is my first relisten after the new firmware installation. All I can say is Wow, wow! Now, Manfred Honeck’s handling of the Eighth Symphony becomes dramatically more rapturously beautiful, more emotional, more expressive, more exciting and dramatic. Dynamics went off-the-charts, i.e. lifelike. Listen to its pounding timpani strokes. Listen also to the symphony’s closing moments - absolutely deliriously exciting! Listening volume: very, very loud.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
View attachment 125140

DVO?ÁK Symphony No 8 JANÁ?EK Symphonic Suite From Jen?fa Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra/Manfred Honeck Reference Recordings 710 SACD (A Relisten)

This is my first relisten after the new firmware installation. All I can say is Wow, wow! Now, Manfred Honeck’s handling of the Eighth Symphony becomes dramatically more rapturously beautiful, more emotional, more expressive, more exciting and dramatic. Dynamics went off-the-charts, i.e. lifelike. Listen to its pounding timpani strokes. Listen also to the symphony’s closing moments - absolutely deliriously exciting! Listening volume: very, very loud.
Perhaps you post your SACD recommendations in the appropriate thread?

Reactions: dsdfan and Townes

krell600

Apr 18, 2022
Hi guys, I think the new firmware for the DA2/DV2 is finally released. Check with your dealer.
The firmware update has not been released according to their sales manager. Below is his response when I asked yesterday.

"Hi Patrick,

No. There is no firmware update for the DA2 V2 currently.

Cheers

Shah Al Rashid

Director of Sales

EMM Labs / Meitner Audio"

Reactions: dsdfan

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
I'm trying to think why XMOS firmware would produce a noticeable improvement in sound, esp for those of us who are using the optilink input that might actually skip the processor. (don't know for sure, but XMOS is associated with USB, AES, and SPDIF. Then again, optilink input is right next to the chip) .

The best I can come up with is that the XMOS chip is probably the noisiest digital source within the DAC that isn't built in-house. Other sources of noise would be the FPGA, DAC modulator (DSD noise), and PSU. It seems like these three are constructed or configured in house, but the XMOS is a noisy off-the-shelf chip. A different OS might bring down digital noise in the system.

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
The firmware update has not been released according to their sales manager. Below is his response when I asked yesterday.

"Hi Patrick,

No. There is no firmware update for the DA2 V2 currently.

Cheers

Shah Al Rashid

Director of Sales

EMM Labs / Meitner Audio"
The XMOS software was created as my DA2V2 was not able to decode DSD128 and higher files with my streamer. A request was made to Shahin and after trying all possibilities the XMOS was the last possible culprit. Thanks to Shahin it took EMM Labs more than 6 months to produce this XMOS which finally solved my issue. It did not result in any noticeable SQ improvement however and my technician also thought the XMOS should have nothing to do with SQ. Believe the XMOS was provided to other users just in case they have my problems.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
The XMOS software was created as my DA2V2 was not able to decode DSD128 and higher files with my streamer. A request was made to Shahin and after trying all possibilities the XMOS was the last possible culprit. Thanks to Shahin it took EMM Labs more than 6 months to produce this XMOS which finally solved my issue. It did not result in any noticeable SQ improvement however and my technician also thought the XMOS should have nothing to do with SQ. Believe the XMOS was provided to other users just in case they have my problems.

Hi Tony, our earlier version of the firmware is V. 1.09. Your updated firmware is V. 10D. Another friend of mine who live in the USA also received the V. 10D and he, like you, found no difference in sound quality as compared to V. 1.09. However, my updated version of the firmware has a vast difference in sound quality as compared to V. 1.09. I can't be wrong because I have been relistening to countless SACDs for over four months already and the dramatic improvements in every aspect of the sound are unmistakable! And I am not alone in hearing the vast improvements according to my dealer.

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Hi Tony, our earlier version of the firmware is V. 1.09. Your updated firmware is V. 10D. Another friend of mine who live in the USA also received the V. 10D and he, like you, found no difference in sound quality as compared to V. 1.09. However, my updated version of the firmware has a vast difference in sound quality as compared to V. 1.09. I can't be wrong because I have been relistening to countless SACDs for over four months already and the dramatic improvements in every aspect of the sound are unmistakable! And I am not alone in hearing the vast improvements according to my dealer.
Andy, not saying you’re wrong, just explaining my experience and I really hope I could have your improvement too!

john925

May 3, 2013
hi Tony,
you meant your da2v2 couldn't decode DSD128. What input did you use on the da2v2 then?

John

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
hi Tony,
you meant your da2v2 couldn't decode DSD128. What input did you use on the da2v2 then?

John
Hi John,

Before the XMOS update, DSD128 and 352/354 hz files were played with hiccups and stops. I was using USB from my Taiko Extreme to the DA2V2, but please note I’m using an upgraded USB card from Taiko. Did not try other inputs for the DA2V2 as my Extreme only has USB output.

Tony

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing