Feedback needed to help sort through issues involved in developing a digital front end

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I'm in the process of developing criteria for a new digital front end - server/player. After reading extensively here on WBF and elsewhere, I've noticed quite a number of discussions, some quite detailed, others not so much, about how the OS or employment of various applications/software can affect SQ. For example, I've observed a couple of sophisticated members remark that Linux "sounds thin," Roon colors the source signal, Tidal water mark results in degradation of SQ, and so on. Some have advocated for Windows LTSC as optimal for a digital front end foundation. I am relatively new to this arena, but a guy has to start somewhere. At this point, I'm somewhat inclined to consult with Larry for an LDMS build (perhaps a bit prematurely?). I have looked at a number of vendors, however: Antipodes, Innuous, etc. My particular situation is simpler than most, since at the present I do not access stored files for playback; rather, I simply stream Qobuz and will likely continue to do so for some time. My system is also simple (not detailing my vinyl side): Pass Labs Amp/Pre, Golden Atlantic TRP DAC, DeVore '96s in a dedicated listening room I am in the process of "professionally" treating - hoping to accomplish a first-class job of it, as I know a lot more about acoustic engineering than I do digital servers/players :) My general objective is to ensure I eventually implement a digital front end consistent with the digital SQ potential of the Lampi Dac.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I'm in a build, and will audition OS later on. piecemeal statements such as 'Linux sounds thin' are a bit bold IMO as it all comes down to how things are set up but I'm sure there are sound attributes to various systems but in the end it is like picking a high end interlink...pick your poison.

The components of the server are more important, number of cores of the CPU, power supply on the MB, the PSU, digital output, network in, etc etc....everything matters.

I'd suggest you start reading the monster Taiko thread, and Nenon's thread on Audiophilestyle forum.

tinkerphile

Nov 27, 2021
I'm in a build, and will audition OS later on. piecemeal statements such as 'Linux sounds thin' are a bit bold IMO as it all comes down to how things are set up but I'm sure there are sound attributes to various systems but in the end it is like picking a high end interlink...pick your poison.

The components of the server are more important, number of cores of the CPU, power supply on the MB, the PSU, digital output, network in, etc etc....everything matters.

I'd suggest you start reading the monster Taiko thread, and Nenon's thread on Audiophilestyle forum.
Thanks for the response. What you say about OS sound attributes varying due to system dependence makes me realize it's not so simple as focusing just on OS in terms of expectations. And thanks for the links as well.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Wondering where you are with your project?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Buy an LDMS and play music , then post how easy it was .
I have built many servers exp to cheap , he knows how to make his servers sound musical in your system . Each system needs to tuned to your taste as well as accuracy. He makes this easy .
As for the best OS for audio
Linux is very stable ,fast , but lacks note decay . Best for electronic techno music. You can tame it but you cant make it sound like othet OS setups. Same for windows
Better decay , more holographic
More bloom . But if not done well is slower and can slow big dynamic jumps in music .
You can use high power or low power boards too. It comes down to your system and needs.

To build your own server is not hard , to make it musical in your setup not so much and in short
Not a good idea .
A server is much more complex not to make work but to sound musical . I have tons of stuff that should sound great but dont lol.
Let him build it im really being honest .

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing