First foray into cartridges (on a Rega P10)

dhansak79

Jan 28, 2022
Hi all

I am currently running a Rega P10 with Rega Apheta 3 factory fitted cartridge through a Gold Note PH-10 with the PSU (an item bought after recommendation on this very forum).

I am considering purchasing the Hana Umami Red or something similar to run on my P10. Does anyone have an experience of running this or other alternative carts on the Rega deck who could share some recommendations?

If it's helpful I am running a Moon 641 integrated with Spendor Classic 1/2 speakers as the rest of the system.

Best,
Daniel

Hi all

I am currently running a Rega P10 with Rega Apheta 3 factory fitted cartridge through a Gold Note PH-10 with the PSU (an item bought after recommendation on this very forum).

I am considering purchasing the Hana Umami Red or something similar to run on my P10. Does anyone have an experience of running this or other alternative carts on the Rega deck who could share some recommendations?

If it's helpful I am running a Moon 641 integrated with Spendor Classic 1/2 speakers as the rest of the system.

Best,
Daniel
Hi
I don't have any experience with the Rega but I have the Hana Red. It is a very nice cartridge!

Something to watch for is matching a cartridge with the effective mass of the tonearm. The Hana Umami Red is a low compliance cartridge at 9cu with a body weight of 10.5 g. This means it is compatible and should work best with todays higher (10-16g) effective mass tonearms.

I just looked up the arm, it's a RB3000 which has an effective mass of 11g. So it should work fine, others might have more insight.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Hi there, thanks for getting back to me!

The Rega design philosophy is all about low mass I believe and yes, the specs state as such for the RB3000 tonearm.

Effective mass: Low / 11 g

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me!

The Rega design philosophy is all about low mass I believe and yes, the specs state as such for the RB3000 tonearm.

Effective mass: Low / 11 g
Yes low mass turntables.

Effective mass of the arm is different, in this case the RB3000 would be considered to have a higher effective mass. Although at 11 g it is at the lower end of this category, it could be considered medium mass. So while the Hana should work it might not be a perfect match. Perhaps someone who has used a Hana Red with a Rega arm could chime in.

Also worth considering is that the Rega does not let you easily adjust for VTA. Arm height is set and Rega cartridges are likely manufactured to preset the stylus rake angle/vertical tracking angle which would automatically make the arm and the cartridge a good match. It does take some of the fuss out of setup if you use Rega with Rega. It doesn't mean other cartridges aren't compatible but you might have to shim the arm and or cartridge.

Last edited:
Yes low mass turntables.

Effective mass of the arm is different, in this case the RB3000 would be considered to have a higher effective mass. Although at 11 g it is at the lower end of this category, it could be considered medium mass. So while the Hana should work it might not be a perfect match. Perhaps someone who has used a Hana Red with a Rega arm could chime in.

Also worth considering is that the Rega does not let you easily adjust for VTA. Arm height is set and Rega cartridges are likely manufactured to preset the stylus rake angle/vertical tracking angle which would automatically make the arm and the cartridge a good match. It does take some of the fuss out of setup if you use Rega with Rega. It doesn't mean other cartridges aren't compatible but you might have to shim the arm and or cartridge.
Yeah, I would have to use a spacer under the arm which I've done on other Rega decks in the past for friends - usually on lesser decks with lesser carts though. I recently put a Hana SH on a P3 for a friend of mine which was a nice combination for the money.

I'm just not sure if this becomes more problematic/unsuitable when we are talking about a much more expensive deck and cartridge.

Reactions: AudioHR
I have had great improvement over the Apheta 3 with a VDH Frog Gold on my P10. I have also tested a Lyra ETNA with great results but of course at a higher premium.

Reactions: dhansak79
I forayed into that a few years ago, and a dealer recommended the Linn cartridges as a replacement plug & play for the Rega cartridges. I was really impressed by the improved sound quality with the Linn Krystal in my P8.

Reactions: dhansak79

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu