First thoughts on the Spectral DMC-30SS Series 2

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I have some information that might be helpful to mullard88; I've owned a DMC30SS series 2 for a little more than one year now. Right after I recieved it, I started to have several problems similiar to mullard88. The most dangerous was "run away volume". When I would adjust the volume, the unit would take off (by itself) and go to full volume. This behavior was witnessed by several of my friends. It also exhibiting other issues like the protection light coming on, and the unit not responding to inputs. Of course I immediately reported this to my distrubitor and he got in contact with Spectral. Off the unit went to Spectral where it was tested thoroughly. They found nothing. But, to be safe, they replaced anything they thought might be contributing to the problem. I got the unit back but much to my dismay, it still exhibited the same problems. I spoke to Marc at service several times. He's a very knowledgable guy but all he could say was that I must have some other active IR source that was causing the micro-processor to go crazy. I did a little research on-line and found some info that stated that certain fluorescent light ballasts have been found to interfer with IR remotes. I was happy to try anything, so I replaced the ballasts in my room. This completely cured all my problems.
The story doesn't end here though; it had been a year with absolutely no problems, then it started again. I called Marc to ask if he had anything new to report. He did confirm that light ballasts can be a problem for this unit, but we were both confused because I had replaced every ballast in my room. I did some more testing and this is what I found; I had recently purchased an esoteric X-01 CD player. It seems that it's remote had something like a "stuck" button that made the remote emit a continuous signal. Once I corrected this, everything works fine.
So, I'm very happy with the spectral unit, but it's remote control system seems to be sensitive to outside influences.
I say that because I've had several other remote controlled units in the same room without problems, only the spectral unit exhibited this behavior.
so if your unit starts to act up, I would put IR interference on the list of things to look into.

Michael Mizner
Tucson Arizona

So THAT is why Spectral favours an all Spectral setup haha. They can't get their remote right. :p
Wim (a Spectral fan btw)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Mmizner,

Thank you for the information, Michael. I do not have flourescents lights in my music room but I have some remote controls for my digital sources.

Sam

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
Spectral DMC-30SS Series 2 upgrade cost

Boxing up my DMC-30SS series 1 tonight. It's off to Spectral for the series 2 upgrade.

Any news on the price to upgrade a 30SS to Series 2.
USA model.
First Pic is the 301 BOS from the Series one
Spectral DMC-30SS 301 Balnced Output Section.jpg Spectral DMC-30SS S2 301A Balanced Output Section, Close up Pic.jpg Spectral DMC-30SS S2 301A Balanced Output Section, 10db more gain over 301 series.jpg
Is the upgrade replacing the 301 Balanced output Section with the new 301A.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Penthouse-D

Dec 10, 2012
As a matter of fact, I just got mine this weekend. It came much sooner than expected. I have a funny feeling a new model may be on the way to compliment the DMA400's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing