Genalex Gold Lion 6922 / E88CC Custom Tube

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day maties, Greetings from Melbourne!

It has been a while since I've had a tube failure in a short span of time, and this time it was not one but two! Virtually died off around the same time. These were the EH 6922's ordered previously for the CJ LP125m monoblocks, and installed in Aug. Just about early Oct they both conked off. One had a very bright white flash and remained that way, as if something was cooking on high flame, the other was noisy and un-listenable. So it was time for a re-order.

I received some great recommendations from fellow forum members and industry experts, and decided on the Genalex Gold Lions. These were matched pairs, balanced triodes and selected for low noise and low microphonics, one word - "superb!"

I've tried EH, JJ, Sovtec, and a few others but nothing compares to the Genalex Gold Lions, they're just brilliant! Apart from the added punch in mid-range and smoother highs, or should I state a "more controlled" presentation in the mids and highs, the most significant attribute is the mid to lower bass, it is outstanding! It seems to have a definite hold on bass lines, it sounds fuller and presents itself in a more robust manner. It is extremely quiet, well established as a driver tube and definitely does a marvelous job of being a phase inverter stage on these monoblocks. CJ should have included these on their monoblocks but then I guess the cost would go up further.

There is another chap here who happens to have the mighty CJ LP275 monoblocks, and these big amps utilize three of these tubes per channel, oh boy do they sound wonderful!
I'm not sure if it can get any better than this. Acquiring balanced triodes and low noise certainly helps a great deal, especially when the transducers are highly transparent, such as the CLX's, and this top quality just shines through effortlessly, brilliant, brilliant brilliant!
I must say the percentage of improvement over the EH is well in the region of 30-35%, could be more. Need to give them more time to settle in.

Until then, enjoy the music and for those seeking a high quality, very robust presentation of full frequency, I highly recommend the Genalex Gold Lions, used either as driver-phase inverters or input tubes as part of the front gain stages in pre-amplification.
Cheers to all, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing