Genesis II.5 bass amp not powering up

Nounours18200

Jun 24, 2012
Grasse (France)
Hi,

Following a general electricity power down in my town, my Genesis Bass amp does not power up anymore. It is the 1st generation of the bass amp for the Genesis II.5 (the width is > to the heigh).

When I push the On/Off button located at the rear (it is not a common mechanical switch but a sort of soft switch), the amp seems to power up but it does not, and when the button is released the amp is still Off.

Any idea ?

Thank you,
P.S.: I had already faced this problem a few years ago, but after having disconnected the amp a few minutes from the wall outlet, it was OK back again. This time the amp does not stay in the ON mode....

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Sorry, but when Genesis Technologies closed down, all the schematics and service manuals were lost. So, I have no clue if the on/off button on the back is a toggle switch of some kind.

With some of the older voltage auto-switch design, there is a relay that may fail and one of the old designs fails safe - in the off state. So, perhaps there is a fault there. Since you lost power, the resulting surge when power comes back on could have blown fuses. The 'flat' version of the Genesis bass amp may or may not have internal protection fuses.

Nounours18200

Jun 24, 2012
Grasse (France)
Thank you garylkoh: my engineer comes to visit me this Thursday and we will check it..

I have a Genesis amp schematics somewhere in my house, but I do not remember where (!) and I do not remember which model it relates to... (I even don't know if it is a complete one or only a part of it)

Thanks again

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
As you are from France, Germany is not too far away.

The following company is driven from Hartmut Bayer, a former Infinity importer ,
who is now specialized to restore Infinity and Genesis speakers.
He might be able to help.

Reactions: treitz3

Nounours18200

Jun 24, 2012
Grasse (France)
Thank you shakti, "my" electronic engineer who is a friend comes on Thursday, and he will have a look at the amp.
He knows this amp because he has already repaired one, si maybe I will not need to send it away...

Thanks a lot, I keepyou informed,
Michel

Nounours18200

Jun 24, 2012
Grasse (France)
@garylkoh:
Sorry, but when Genesis Technologies closed down, all the schematics and service manuals were lost
I have found in my PC a few shematics that I supposed to be the related to the GENESIS 2.5 Bass amplifier: Power Supply, Amplifier section and Active Filtering section.

I have uploaded it on my website and you can download it here:
https://www.threshold-lovers.com/telechargement/

If you are interested by these schematics, I should have the paper copies somewhere (?) and try to make better scans...

Just let me know,

Have a nice day,
Michel

Reactions: Genesis02111973

Genesis02111973

Mar 31, 2024
Austria
I have found in my PC a few shematics that I supposed to be the related to the GENESIS 2.5 Bass amplifier: Power Supply, Amplifier section and Active Filtering section.

I have uploaded it on my website and you can download it here:
https://www.threshold-lovers.com/telechargement/

If you are interested by these schematics, I should have the paper copies somewhere (?) and try to make better scans...

Just let me know,

Have a nice day,
Michel
Hi!

This is my first post and I am currently studying all the information.

I am the proud owner of a pair Genesis 200 and I hope the schematics also work for the first generation amp provided with this pair of speakers.

In any case: Very many thanks for prodviding this schematics.

BR
Rainer

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Sorry, but when Genesis Technologies closed down, all the schematics and service manuals were lost. So, I have no clue if the on/off button on the back is a toggle switch of some kind.
Gary,
In all due respect, I would bet that if you ask Paul McGowan or his associate for schematics as I have done, they would be kind enough to send them for the older Genesis. If they are "lost" then how is it that some schematics are available from PS Audio? I get it that there may not be any money in the older stuff, but I don't buy your reasoning at all. Just my .02

Thanks,

Mark

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing