Good DAC/Preamp for actives ATC SCM50 ASLT?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I didn't know the AMR products aren't sold anymore. I'd be interested in a successor of the DP-777SE. Something that excels at Redbook from a CD transport, but also Highres/DSD from a server.
Sounds good, is volume control in the source important? Would you rather have it in digital or analogue?

mg248

Mar 24, 2021
Sounds good, is volume control in the source important? Would you rather have it in digital or analogue?
Not really that important. I think it varies on a case by case basis. I have several systems and in some it would be welcome, in others most likely bypassed.

But analog is what I'd rather have and an autoformer if possible. The problem with resistor based preamps is that each resistor needs break-in from what I understand (please anybody correct me if I'm wrong). So how are you going to do that? It takes forever..

Maybe make a version with and without preamp, like Metrum does. I like their approach of have the DAC available as DAC only or with a good preamp. That way you pay for what you get and choose.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Not really that important. I think it varies on a case by case basis. I have several systems and in some it would be welcome, in others most likely bypassed.

But analog is what I'd rather have and an autoformer if possible. The problem with resistor based preamps is that each resistor needs break-in from what I understand (please anybody correct me if I'm wrong). So how are you going to do that? It takes forever..

Maybe make a version with and without preamp, like Metrum does. I like their approach of have the DAC available as DAC only or with a good preamp. That way you pay for what you get and choose.
You have a valid point, having an option for a preamp will extend the compatibility. What do you think about having analogue inputs that will allow it to work as a preamp for other sources?

mg248

Mar 24, 2021
You have a valid point, having an option for a preamp will extend the compatibility. What do you think about having analogue inputs that will allow it to work as a preamp for other sources?
Ok well here we get into a fundamental question of whether one is looking to buy a DAC or a more central component of a system, and also if the end user just wants to save money by not buying a preamp at all. I think a DAC should be a DAC mainly, and do that as best as it can. In many cases a good or matching preamp will sound better than what most DACs can offer, but at a much higher cost.

If a preamp/volume control is added, ok. If it's digital it can be low cost to manufacture and can by bypassed easily. If analog it's likely better if done well, but then adds more cost. Then you add preamp functions (how many inputs, phono too?) and you want this at high quality, then cost goes up and up and people with expensive preamps or integrated amps have no benefit at all. Good connectors alone can be very pricey.

I think many people will carefully match amp/preamp preferably from the same brand for synergy reasons. At least I do in my more expensive systems.

To return somewhat to the topic of this thread, ATC makes preamps and that's what I would get plus a DAC of whatever flavor suits the listener. At the cost of these ATC's and if you like their amps (which the OP obviously did by choosing actives over passives) I'd just go with an ATC preamp and not try save money going with a combo dac/pre. What if you want to change the DAC one day? You are limited to DAC/Pre combos, and the preamp part might gel with the ATC or not...

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Ok well here we get into a fundamental question of whether one is looking to buy a DAC or a more central component of a system, and also if the end user just wants to save money by not buying a preamp at all. I think a DAC should be a DAC mainly, and do that as best as it can. In many cases a good or matching preamp will sound better than what most DACs can offer, but at a much higher cost.

If a preamp/volume control is added, ok. If it's digital it can be low cost to manufacture and can by bypassed easily. If analog it's likely better if done well, but then adds more cost. Then you add preamp functions (how many inputs, phono too?) and you want this at high quality, then cost goes up and up and people with expensive preamps or integrated amps have no benefit at all. Good connectors alone can be very pricey.

I think many people will carefully match amp/preamp preferably from the same brand for synergy reasons. At least I do in my more expensive systems.

To return somewhat to the topic of this thread, ATC makes preamps and that's what I would get plus a DAC of whatever flavor suits the listener. At the cost of these ATC's and if you like their amps (which the OP obviously did by choosing actives over passives) I'd just go with an ATC preamp and not try save money going with a combo dac/pre. What if you want to change the DAC one day? You are limited to DAC/Pre combos, and the preamp part might gel with the ATC or not...
1. The switch responsible for checking the tube's bias is faulty. It needs replacement.
2. It is safe for now if you haven't adjusted the bias. It is recommended to get it fixed and to set the bias properly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing