Grimm MU-1 server review - A new force in digital source?

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
Does anyone know if the Grimm MU1 can be used solely as a Roon Core on the network, without using the digital output? Just connected by network cable. It was outputting via AES, but now simply need it sitting on the network. There's no obvious reference to this configuration in the manual.

Yes, I realize that configuration does not take advantage of everything the MU1 has to offer. But, changing my system around at the moment and simply need it to function as a core right now.

Thanks!

Low325

May 2, 2021
Yes. I would imagine in this scenario you tell Roon what that endpoint would be and it points back to the Roon core in the MU1 over the network.
I have this setup with another endpoint device and it basically sees the MU1 as a nuc. I have it set up this way for A/B testing for my own use.

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Yes.
I move mine between two systems, and the other one always sees it as core

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
Thanks - the Grimm is identified within Roon as the endpoint. So, it works fine when outputting digital signal through the AES.
However, now, I removed the AES because my DAC also has ethernet input, so the Grimm would just be operating as as a core.
Per fast.freight, is your MU1 simply sitting as a core, or do you have a digital out put from it to a dac ?

In short, I'm wondering if the Grimm needs to be told that I'm not using a digital output, just the core functionality.

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
You do not need to use the AES/SPDIF output on the MU1 to use the core.

Your Roon license allows you to connect to one Roon core. It doesn't care if the core is on a computer or an MU1. I have a number of customers who have a house full of Roon End Points, all utilizing the MU1 as the core. Of course, you are not utilizing the full capabilities of the MU1, but it is fine for you to implement it this way.

***DEALER***

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
I understand. I think it will not be an issue as the Core functionality exists over the ethernet.
But, easy enough for me to disconnect my AES out of the Grimm and see if my other endpoint functions as it should....
I will do this tonight.

poonbean

Jul 30, 2020
Yup, turns out the problem was that I did not tell Roon that the new endpoint is the Dac, not the Grimm. What a dummy. sheesh
Thank you for the help!

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Hi, so I think this has been answered, but YES, if I disconnect my Grimm AES from my DAC my other Roon Endpoint still sees
Roon Core on my MU1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing