Helicopters Rock My House - Like going to an Airshow

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Helicopters Rock My House - OhooooBamah

Happened just a few minutes ago, like an airshow on a weekend vacation, but without out all the fuss.

They made several circle passes over the area while the formation collected. People were out on their porches, all looking to the skies.

I live about a block away from the U of M "Big House" and get all kinds of fly-overs. F-18's are cool, but so is the Presidential helicopter formation with a few double rotors tossed in. I could of picked up some tickets for the graduation commencements, but I'd rather go to a car show Saturday and a home Hi-Fi show (AK-Fest) later that day.

The sound of the fly over was awesome..............if Obama was on board he would have seen me waving with one hand and clicking photos with the other.:)

Here they come again.
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x295/kach22i/MISC/

In real life I could see all the lettering and detail on the craft.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
The lead craft showed up last, I was expecting all double rotors.

Three of these, as old as my vintage Porsche I bet.

And there they go off in the distance.

Almost enough to make me want to go to the graduation commencements.:cool:

I didn't know where else to post this, move it if you want.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow, that is pretty unusual scene! Reminds me of the house we had on Whidbey Island where they train pilots. They would touch and go at an airfield near us. You would see all kinds of planes you hadn't seen before.

When you bought a house, they had to sign papers saying you knew there could be noise! :(

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Found this.................

Marine Helicopter Squadron-1 (HMX-1) Nighthawks
Marine Helicopter Squadron-1 (HMX-1) Nighthawks
Marine Helicopter Squadron-1 (HMX-1) is the only organization responsible for direct helicopter support of the White House. HMX-1 is the sole helicopter transport squadron for the president of the United States, and stands alone in its role of testing and evaluating helicopter systems for the Fleet Marine Force..........

HMX-1 has a current PAA of 6 CH-46E's, and 6 CH-53E's. Actual "on-hand" assets include (6) CH-46E aircraft; (4) CH-53E aircraft; (4) CH-53D aircraft; and 1 UH-1N (on loan for operational test and evaluation (OT&E) purposes only. The eventual retirement of the CH-53D assets and the procurement of new CH-53E airframes was ongoing in the early 1990s. Following 1996 operational peak occasioned by the presidential elections, the final CH-53D aircraft was gone from HMX-1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMX-1
Marine Helicopter Squadron One (HMX-1), is a United States Marine Corps helicopter squadron based at Marine Corps Air Facility Quantico, Virginia. Nicknamed "The Nighthawks," they are responsible for the helicopter transportation of the President of the United States, Vice President, Cabinet members and VIPs. When the President is aboard, the Marine helicopter uses the call sign "Marine One." In addition to its VIP transport role, it is also tasked with operational test and evaluation (OT&E) of new flight systems for Marine Corps helicopters.

with video: Helicopters circle the skies over Michigan Stadium
Helicopters circle the skies over Michigan Stadium - AnnArbor.com
Military-type helicopters are circling the skies over downtown Ann Arbor today, presumably in anticipation of President Barack Obama's visit Saturday.

As many as eight helicopters have been spotted in the skies over Ann Arbor and near athletic practice fields off South State Street. Five were flying in close formation at 3:30 p.m.

Ann Arbor police said a portion of State Street was briefly closed, but is now back open.

Obama is set to speak at U-M's commencement ceremony at 11 a.m. Saturday in Michigan Stadium.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing