Hi From Portland

CD&VINYL

Oct 15, 2023
Portland, Oregon Area
My first thread, I'll introduce myself.

I'm an all classical listener, and I truly love my audio system and the warm, mellow, boomy base sound that it delivers!

It began when I purchased my McIntosh 1900 during the late 1980's in the San Francisco Bay area. As I understand, it was McIntosh's first solid state system, and they did it right. Its repair person once declared, he would be pleased to have this preamp/amp combination as part of his personal system. It's multi-featured and delivers 60 RMS watts, which is plenty for my 8 ohm speakers. They become overwhelmed, if the volume exceeds 30% of it's maximum.

CD's were newish, so comparing among several, I selected a new Luxman D-351 CD player. None of the other systems came even close; it offered a realistic, rich sound that was ideal for my classical audio tastes. It has served me well ever since.

At the time that I purchased the MAC/1900, I had an older Dual turntable. But as vinyl seriously began to decline, I purchased a nice, new Thorens turntable. (TD-320.) It's currently installed with a Sumiko cartridge avec the Olympia stylus. Not particularly high end, it delivers warm vinyl sound that I very much enjoy.

I purchased my two speakers in the early '70's from Fred's Sound of Music in Portland, Oregon. They were custom designed by Fred himself as a mid-priced offering for those purchasing mid-level systems. They're a standard 3-way system with a 2" tweeter, a 6" mid-range, and a 12" woofer. (I have an extra set, just in case one needs repair.) I'm a little embarrassed to say that they work fine for me. I had to chance to purchase a pair of restored, McIntosh speakers in the same configuration, but didn't act fast enough. Some day, it would be kind of neat to upgrade.

To round out my system, I have a Nakimichi CR3a cassette recorder. The CR3a has the three independent heads, a good transport system, and adjustable bias. This CR is a throw back to when Nakimichi made high quality components. It's currently being repaired. At the time over a couple of decades ago, I was excited to have this cassette recorder. But given current times, this component faces an uncertain future.

My collection maybe numbers about 200 CD's, selections that I particularly like. Having collected over many6 years, my vinyl collection exceeds 1500 classical albums, so I have plenty of listing pleasure in my future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlay

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Welcome to WBF…

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Welcome aboard. I too am in Portland.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing