Highly relevant article (and sidebars) on the problems with different electronic circuits on sound quality

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
https://www.stereophile.com/content/spectral-x-contamination-problems-op-amp-chips

Really cool article that talks about the issues with distortions and sound quality caused by a lot of the most commonly used circuit types in audio.

Like for example, the fact that a symmetrical amplifier actually cancels the mild sounding even harmonics while preserving (or even enhancing) the odd order harmonics, which are known to not sound good (except perhaps the simplest...the third). A well known phenomenon for sure but not appreciated for what it does subjectively to the sound.

Reactions: Robh3606

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
It is cool although its a bit dated Wonder how things are now 20 years on?

Rob :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
It is cool although its a bit dated Wonder how things are now 20 years on?

No new technologies have been invented or radically new circuit topologies that would invaldiate most of what is in this article.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
No new technologies have been invented or radically new circuit topologies that would invaldiate most of what is in this article.

I think you are missing the point. 20 years is a long time. There have been significant process changes and improvements as well as new chips since then.

You are also not taking into account how current designs are using them compared to 20 years ago.

As far as topologies chip layouts and geometries are changed more often than you think.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think you are missing the point. 20 years is a long time. There have been significant process changes and improvements as well as new chips since then.

You are also not taking into account how current designs are using them compared to 20 years ago.

As far as topologies chip layouts and geometries are changed more often than you think.

Well, I won't debate the so-called "chip advance" except to say that I think they still suck and as near as I can tell they are used primarily the same way now as 20 years ago.

I was more interested in the points being made about symmetrical designs vs. assymmetrical design and the impact on audible traits of distortion.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Well, I won't debate the so-called "chip advance" except to say that I think they still suck and as near as I can tell they are used primarily the same way now as 20 years ago.

I was more interested in the points being made about symmetrical designs vs. assymmetrical design and the impact on audible traits of distortion.

Hello Morricab

Well if they all suck how are you managing to not use any of them in your gear?

You going all discrete and avoiding troublesome circuit topologies??

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello Morricab

Well if they all suck how are you managing to not use any of them in your gear?

You going all discrete and avoiding troublesome circuit topologies??

I have an all tube, no negative feedback chain on both my systems. On my DIY digital xover setup there is one SS DAC but it takes the signal straight off the R2R DAC chips (8 of them) and powers the mid-bass drivers. The MC stage of my phono has a single JFet but the rest is tube...including the power supply.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing