How are you powered?

passfreak

Sep 24, 2018
Are your Pass gear plugged directly into a wall socket or a powerplant regenerator from PS audio/ Audioquest Niagara?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Neither. Each amp is plugged into a Shunyata Denali 2000, and each Denali is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line. The preamp is plugged into a Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on a dedicated 20 amp line.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Preamps are plugged into wall. Amps bypass outlets and are more directly connected to the panel's separated circuits via two JPS Labs cables through the floor and terminated with their own Furutech IEC connectors plugged into each amp. I will soon compare this to plugging the amps into the wall after my electrician installs new dedicated circuits and outlets. I'd like to know if the Furutech IEC connectors degrade the sound quality.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
@PeterA

They matter less than the Furutech sockets that have a light grip. Rhodium tends to be a detail increaser. However I'd say in general the sad fact is IEC is a junk format.

I would consider an IEC inlet from Furutech because options are limited. But as you already know I don't and won't use them as cable ends.

Reactions: PeterA

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
@Folsom, Which brand do you use to terminate the power cables?

i have a few furutech outlets and agree they have a light grip. Have you tried the new shunyata outlet —copper conn?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The Ching Cheng IEC molded plastic connectors on their power cords have very good grip. I am now experimenting with the CC power cords vs. my JPS Labs In Wall cables with Furutech on my two Pass Labs mono block amps. The sound is certainly different. The stock power cords that come with Pass electronics are also made by Ching Cheng, though I am using what looks like a more robust model.

Until my electrician can come to install four dedicated circuits with new outlets, I am using the CC power cords with extension cords plugged into non dedicated receptacles. I'm impressed so far.

I do not quite understand it because I would have thought the much more direct path bypassing outlets with a simple connection from circuit to amp would have sounded clearly superior. That is not the case from what I am now hearing. I am told the CC need no break in period, unlike all of the audiophile power cords I have tried.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Are your new dedicated outlets also going to use jps inwall or 10ga romex?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
@Folsom, Which brand do you use to terminate the power cables?

i have a few furutech outlets and agree they have a light grip. Have you tried the new shunyata outlet —copper conn?

Neutrik Powercon 32A I think is best preference but no one has the jack for it. I have yet to find an IEC end that is the ultimate IEC end but have a couple more to test. I've been searching high and low for long time. Right now a no-name is the best I've found. For the male end I like HBL5965VBLK; it has very straight simple blades and some of the best compression one can get (you have to tighten, then re-tighten few minutes later before finish assembly). I'd prefer to do a crimp compression bond with a mold, but the machine cost as much as new car and very difficult everything to do with it so not sure there's a good reason to get it if the "improvement" isn't appreciable.

A friend of mine cycled a bunch of outlets. Some are nice if you're looking for certain things, but I prefer simple ones usually, nothing exotic. There is no good electrical reason to have exotic material or super pure. They sound different but different isn't inherently better. There is not even appreciable measurement reason - if you know what to really look for.

If you prefer to believe exotic and pure are better, that is good you know what you like.

Reactions: matthias and PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Are your new dedicated outlets also going to use jps inwall or 10ga romex?

Good question. Not romex, either 10 gauge 2 power conductors and 1 ground conductor stranded wire inside metal casing or the JPS Labs In Wall cable which is also stranded, but I suspect the former.

Four dedicated 20 amp circuits with no splices to four Hubbell industrial grade 20 amp isolated ground receptacles. One for each amp, and two for the three front end components. Five Ching Cheng power cords.

I plan to leave the two JPS wires with IEC plugs to the amps in tact so that I can compare the two schemes. However, the Ching Cheng PCs to the two amps on non dedicated outlets, one on a cheap extension cord, for a quick experiment this weekend is sounding pretty good as is, so this scheme with the dedicated circuits and new outlets should sound excellent.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
To me the only way to compare is withe jps to dedicated outlets then you will know the contribuion of the cc cable +outlet.

I recently did what you have. JPS straight to shunyata T2000 then to amps.

Reactions: PeterA

passfreak

Sep 24, 2018
In an attempt to avoid shutting off my system when lightning and thunderstorms are visiting I decided to get a PS Audio power plant regenerator. With this I plug my electronics into and just leave it on all the time. So far so good...seems to work fine. I got the P12. This one i can lift as well as my equipment is not power hungry so no need for their P15 or P20

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Mine go to directly to the wall. No dedicated lines (future remodel of basement will change that)

I tried using my Shunyata 6000 on them, but preferred direct to the wall. I was able to then connect my pre amp and phono pre to the HC outlets on the 6000 and found I liked them better there vs the non HC outlets so found a setup in the end I liked.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Preamps are plugged into wall. Amps bypass outlets and are more directly connected to the panel's separated circuits via two JPS Labs cables through the floor and terminated with their own Furutech IEC connectors plugged into each amp. I will soon compare this to plugging the amps into the wall after my electrician installs new dedicated circuits and outlets. I'd like to know if the Furutech IEC connectors degrade the sound quality.

Perfect. I have been doing this and its excellent. Try a decent cord. Purchase a couple cords from Cullen cables. They are 10 awg OFC and about $7 a foot. Very reasonable. Remove his terminations and land with your own. Use the basic copper cord. His crossover cord is nothing more than mil spec silver coated copper you can make yourself. His cord is true cord. Dense, rubber coated SO. I believe cords of SO style damp vibrations. If you want to go all out, get Furutech cord. Problem is, its $65 a foot.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ching Cheng. Tried them. The best way to sum them up is what 213Cobra said to me once. Out of the gate everyone hoots and hollers how great they are. 6 months later they are using something else. I had that exact same experience with them.

Reactions: Mikem53

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I have the XA25 plugged into my balanced power transformer. It consumes 300 watts, class A amp.
The total load on my BPIT is about 370 watts. The BPIT is rated at 1800 watts. I tried the amp directly into the wall and didn’t notice any difference.
I can understand plugging the larger mono amps directly into the wall especially with power hungry speakers and dynamic music. Nelson Pass says he likes his amp cables fat and short..

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Neutrik Powercon 32A
I have one dedicated in-wall circuit (5 AWG) to the sub panel in the listening room and hard-wired (11 AWG) industrial power cords to the devices.
Then I modified all my devices with Powercon 32A power-in chassis connectors.
TBH, optimising the power system is the best what you can do for your set-up. :cool:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Ching Cheng. Tried them. The best way to sum them up is what 213Cobra said to me once. Out of the gate everyone hoots and hollers how great they are. 6 months later they are using something else. I had that exact same experience with them.

Two years later and a completely different system and I still use the Ching Cheng.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing