How do you go about choosing a cartridge?

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
When you decide that you're going to buy a new cartridge, what process do you use to make your final choice?
-I assume most will read reviews to get some kind of initial impression...but maybe not?
-Do you listen to a number of different carts on the same system at a dealer's showroom? If so, how hard do you try to match the demo system to something like you have at home?
-Do you always require an in-home audition?
-Do you find that the essential "character" of a cartridge displays relatively consistently across different systems and in different rooms? In other (very simplistic) words, if Cart A exhibits more bass resolution than Cart B in Room 1 with Phono Stage X, is Cart A likely to exhibit more bass resolution than Cart B in Room 2 with Phono Stage Y?
What other practices have you used successfully in choosing a new cartridge?
Thank you!

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
I look at these things first:

• Several recommendations I trust on it
• Tonearm effective mass/stylus compliance
• Price
• Company reputation
• Core trade and rebuild value/policy

Determining what a cart brings to the game and how it will perform is imho somewhat difficult listening to it on another set up. Even with relative similarities of tonearms, etc.

Unless you have the rare good fortune to be able to audition it on your rig for a decent period of time, there will be considerable variables.

If a provider will offer you a no strings attached return policy, that would be the best scenario.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Ask what it is you want from a new chartridge. Are you looking to compensate for a lack in your system or is your system held back by your current cartridge?

Knowing the characteristics, strengths and weaknesses of your own system, ask if it can deliver the cartridge's character?

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
At one time (50 years ago) it was a no brainer to pick the top of the line Shure MM as likely to be really good.

There are people who make that same choice today. But most don’t.

There are families of cartridges that have large followings. Grado, Soundsmith, Koetsu, Clearaudio, Gold Ring, Denon, Ortofon, Lyra, Hana, … the list is long. Some equipment companies (McIntosh and Linn for example) have their own lines (rebadged from some other source).

In most locations it is hard to get a demo of more than two or three candidates.

I think you have to decide on a direction based on arm and phono preamp compatibility and what you believe about the technobabble that surrounds the whole vinyl experience. If you have never set up a cartridge (and perhaps even if you have), you might prefer a local dealer who can assure that it is safely done. If you break a cantilever on your own, it’s your problem. If the selling dealer breaks it, it’s his.

Don’t get ahead of yourself. Once it’s set up, give it a chance to settle in.

In my experience, excellent vs adequate set up can trump many other issues. So don’t ignore this issue.

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
Thank you for your suggestions. They were very helpful, and I actually used them!
I ended up with a Hana ML and I'm very happy with it.

• Love
Reactions: Johan K and mtemur

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
Thank you for your suggestions. They were very helpful, and I actually used them!
I ended up with a Hana ML and I'm very happy with it.
Well done Zuman, that’s the way you do it.

Give the cartridge at least three four month and you will find it very good I think. Don’t be afraid to try different VTF, and VTA/SRA to make it sing in your system. Also don’t be afraid to try different settings on your phono preamp to get everything perfect. Remember vinyl playback is ALWAYS a compromize!

I’m thinking myself of a Hana Red or a Hana Blue in the future. I think they are excellent!

/ Jk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing